Yarns firmware upgrade: release candidate

Changes:

• The third and fourth CV outputs are freely assignable in the 1M, 2>, 2P and 4> layouts. The corresponding settings are called 3> and 4> and deprecate AUX. The available data sources that can be converted to CV are: velocity, modulation wheel (CC 1), aftertouch, breath controller (CC 2), foot pedal (CC 4), pitch bend, vibrato LFO (the intensity is controlled by the mod. wheel), and raw vibrato LFO (constant intensity).
  • The third and fourth CV outputs are freely assignable in the 2M layout, the corresponding setting is called CV, and affects CV output 3 or 4 depending on whether part #1 or #2 is selected with the PA setting (that’s because the 2M layout is made of two completely independent parts.
    • A new layout called 4V is introduced, for “dumb” conversion of continuous controllers into CVs. It consists of 4 parts. For each part PA, you can select a MIDI channel CH and a data source CV. Values are mapped between 0V and +5V. I did not implement 14-bit CC because there’s no agreed upon standard about it, and then I realized that MIDI already had a message type for 14-bit data: pitch bend) So if you want to send fine-grained 14-bit data from your iPad controller or pd patch… use 4 channels of pitch bend :slight_smile: Sequencer, arpeggiator, and other niceties are not available with this layout.

Note: this upgrade might require you to manually re-select which CV source to use for outputs 3 and 4 in your presets.

brilliant, thanks!
will install as soon as my yards has arrived.

Thank you, this is a great update, though I have no Yarns yet. But it’s on the ‘to buy list’ now!

Cool just updated with Sys Ex Librarian.Thanks for the update

Great update! Will give it a go asap!

Super ! Merci
I am working with osculator to transform value into modulation and sometimes Yarns seems to have problem and I have to restart it to recognize the values…

does this include the JI/digital osc bug fix of v 1.2?

Yes.

This is so close to what I need!

I want to be able to output a three notes (chord) and one velocity. But this seems to be really hard. Any ideas?

> Any ideas?

You can’t do that with Yarns. I know freely assignable I/O instead of a bunch of preset configurations would have made it a better product (in terms of feature), but the limited display would not have made it practical.

Wow that was a quick reply! I understand the complications. At the moment I hijack one channel in 4M mode and send velocity data there (by converting velocity to note values)?

It would be cool if we could choose to receive any type of CV in the 4> layout.
Is that something that would that be possible in the firmware?
Or is it best to get another module and loop them together with a midi cable?

Thanks!

> Is that something that would that be possible in the firmware?

I get requests like yours very regularly (3M with clock outputs, 2M with polyrhythmic tempo, 3M with an additional CC…), and either I have to arbitrarily accept some of these requests and reject others; or I have to accept all of them and stuff Yarns with tons of extra modes and features that will be useful to one particular user and will be clutter and extra confusions to the others.

What you need is a more flexible module which allows you to freely assign CVs to the different channels. I have not designed Yarns to be that.

Yarns was supposed to be a low-HP entry level MIDI-CV interface, and I had started the design of a larger interface with more outputs and a screen - that I never released because I found MIDI less and less relevant.

> Or is it best to get another module and loop them together with a midi cable?

Yes. Or there are bigger MIDI-CV interface modules with more outputs

How about a web app to custom configure Yarns´firmware with outputs as one likes and then install that?

This way there will be no more requests from niche users, and one needs not have a complex screen on the module.

> How about a web app to custom configure Yarns´firmware with outputs as one likes and then install that?

There wouldn’t be any advantage of doing things this way over creating a web app that sends a SysEx string storing the module configuration.

But a SysEx configurable custom mode is a good idea. Let me see if I can do that some time in 2017…

Superb! That was what I had in mind even if I worded it horribly.

That would be killer!

@pichenettes +1 for that!

a|x

It’s a different kind of product, but Expert Sleepers have produced a web-based configuration tool for their FH-1 module.

With webmidi, it should be possible to send sysex directly from Chrome to a Yarns (it’s trickier with the FH-1 because it’s a USB host, so it’s not possible to connect it directly to a computer).

a|x

awesome!

Great update. But any chance of this becoming an official release with makefile etc on github? I can’t upload the sysex with my midi interface no matter what I try , but I do know how to upload via jtag.

I’ll publish the code tomorrow.