Yarns firmware update

There is no arpeggio coming from my midi controller at least. I find ARP parameters in Yarns, but how do I turn it off?

Set AR to 0. Also check that the sequencer is empty (press REC twice).

AR is already at 0 and the sequencer is empty. In 2P POLY mode, normal gating is moved from V1and V2 to V3 and V4.

Anybody can reproduce this? I can’t.

It turns out this is only an issue with a DIY-version. I should have contacted the maker direct instead of wasting your precious time. I’m very sorry and ashamed for this :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::confounded:

The upgrade works on my factory Yarns.

Is this the same as a MIDI Tuning Standard, which is just a simple abstraction layer of adding a tuning table for each MIDI note value?

Also, does the 22 shruti have any history with MI or is that just a coincidence?

Not at all.

• Yarns cannot support the full MIDI tuning standard, because of lack of flash storage to store a full table of pitch values for each of the 128 notes (or we’d need to compromise with sequencer storage).
  • Yarns has already implement, for quite a while, the Octave tuning standard, in which a correction value of up to +/- 1 semitone can be sent for each note of an octave. But this doesn’t allow non-octave tunings. http://scale-editor.appspot.com/
  • The feature described here is for non-octave scales, described by their relationship to an octave (eg: stretching an octave over 36 keys, or collapsing 2 octaves into 12 keys).

The first sound generating instrument I built was a shruti/tampura source, using phase distortion as a synthesis method. Straight PWM from an Arduino, LCD display and buttons. The code evolved into the “Shruti” synth, which had a couple of preset indian scales to stay true to its name.

Thank you, as always, for clarifying.

Added alpha scale (Approximated as a 51095 / 65536) to the list of tuning ratios.

yarns.1.5_with_alpha.syx.zip (44.3 KB)

(Off-topic, but O&C supports the Wendy Carlos alpha, beta and gamma non-octaval scalings, as well as Pierce-Bohlen tritaval scales and quartertone scaling - anyone interested should search for “Non-octaval tunings for the xenharmonically obsessed” in the O&C firmware manual.) ).

Woah, that’s awesome! Every patch update is better with alpha!

Thanks Emilie for the update!
One thing though, when using the arpeggiator in 4 Poly mode with the oscillators turned on to play gated chords driven by a euclidean rhythm I am still getting occasional hiccups from the connected sequencer (Circadian Rhythm by tiptop) when using the clock out and reset on every 4 or 8 Bars. They work rather accurately together without the euclidean rhythms. Could this maybe be due to the processor having to handle too many things at the same time? Anyone having the same problem or have a workaround maybe? I did try the nudge setting but it wouldn’t help…
cheers!

A symptom of processor overload would be glitchy audio (clicky or sounding downsampled, at the wrong pitch).

Can you post of a .syx dump of your settings so that I can try to reproduce the problem?

Thanks for the quick reply! You really do have the best customer support :wink:
When Dumping the file it is necessary to change the oscillator setting to off and then to on again somehow but then it should work I think
The problem is most apparent when using 16th steps as clock with Bar Duration of 4 but also persists when using 24ppqn settings (96th clock) although less frequent hiccups I’d say
Also it takes like 1 min to appear… I am also including a wav file where the hiccup is recorded (it should actually play basic quarter notes)Yarns CR sync.wav.zip (701.3 KB)

Received data 2.syx (1.7 KB)

Can you record Yarns’ clock and reset outputs (I assume these are the ones patched to the CR)?

from the waveforms it seems like the reset pulse somehow bleeds into the clock but inverted. This would also explain why the CR hiccups since it treats the inverted falling edge of the reset pulse as a fake rising edge of the clock it expects. Is there a way to work around that somehow maybe?
I recorded the clock and reset like you said directly from yarns outputs the clock is left the reset right.
Yarns clock.wav.zip (3.2 MB)

The only way I can reproduce this problem is by messing with the clock output division setting while something is playing. The problem then goes away when stopping and restarting. Can you confirm?

Wow, thanks a lot!

Here’s a microupdate with:

• A bug fix for Trigonometrie’s issue (output clock divider and bar counter are now reset when the clock division setting is modified mid-flight, preventing a desynchronization between the clock and reset outputs).
  • A new setting, MS (MANUAL START) prevents the clock from automatically starting when a key is pressed. The clock can only be started by pressing the START/STOP button on the front panel.
  • The LG LEGATO setting now has three options: OFF (as before), AUTO PORTAMENTO (notes played legato are not retriggered, portamento is applied only on notes played legato, similar to ON in the previous version, and to the SH-101, AUTO portamento setting), and ON (notes played legato are not retriggered, portamento is applied irrespectively of playing style).

yarns.1.5_more_stuff.syx.zip (44.5 KB)

Thank you, @pichenettes. I’m going to love the Legato options!