YARNS and Emagic AMT8

Hey all you Yarns people. Just a quick note to say that I’ve had all sorts of bother getting yarns to output midi clock from Live. Turns out it’s the ancient AMT8 that’s the issue. Works fine on other (newer) interfaces. Just saying, in case anyone else out there is sweating it out…

Can you mention what specifically is the problem you’re having?

I use a Unitor 8 with Live and had some initial frustrations having not realized that midi clock is mirrored to all outputs. You only need to send it to one, and when sending it to multiple outputs in Live my MPC tempo would go crazy and sometimes lock up. I’m having no problem driving about a dozen things with midi clock right now, though. I can’t imagine it would be somehow incapable of working with YARNS.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but if you give some more info this is one of the most helpful forum I’ve ever posted on so I’m sure some people will help.

@bobbylaundry: what version of OSX are you on (if you use an Apple) ?
The behavior of Midi clock mirroring is configurable via Unitor pref pane, a free tool available under: http://www.potm.org/software/Downloads/
afaik there is no support for this tool under 10.10 +

also, are you using the AMT8 from a DAW or in standalone mode? I have the exact same interface and it won’t forward MIDI clock to any output in standalone (patch) mode.

@nightworxx: btw Unitor pref pane doesn’t work for me anymore, it hangs on the ‘searching for interfaces’ part and won’t see my AMT8, any idea what that could be?

On 10.10 or higher it simply doesn’t work anymore. I tried to contact Kurt, but had no response so far. I think this may be due to the pitiful fact that Apple simply is no longer supporting Emagic hardware…Btw. i am not sure if the AMT-8 ever forwarded Midi clock standalone…i ever thought this was in the domain of the Unitor-8.

For routing purposes i am now using: http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/ - nomen est omen.
Small and effectively working.

well it’s not like standalone operation on the AMT8 ever was that great anyway… but yeah, as usual, thanks Apple.

Hm, i am not sure that we have the right to blame Apple to end support for 20 year old hardware.
But my real problem is that there are no real options for good 19" 8x8 Midi interfaces after all those years. Honestly MotU Midi interfaces do really suck, and after all only ESI will be a proper replacement, but i am not willing to spend 500 € right now to replace my two Unitor-8…

it’s not for ending support (which is understandable) it’s for introducing incompatibility with each OS upgrade.

I’m still using OSX 10.6.8 in the studio. My version of Pro Tools isn’t supported on the newer stuff, all the other stuff I use that requires software is working (Live 9, Kontakt, Absynth, a couple Soundtoys things, Unitor 8), so I don’t plan on upgrading ever if I don’t have to.

I have the preference pane but haven’t needed to use it all. That’s cool to know I can edit the clock outputs from there. I did test it in standalone mode and noticed the lack of beat clock through which is a bummer. Not a problem for me really, I usually always have the computer on and use a midi router on the computer (not sure which one) if I need to patch anything. I also have an Akai ME80P and usually use that when leaving the computer off and recording to tape or whatever.

I found a chapter in the manual called “Processing of Real-Time Messages” that seems to say that in standalone, or what they call “patch” mode, you should be able to forward midi clock. The procedure seems to involve sending a start message to a single port, which will designate that as the clock master, after which it should start sending from that port to every port besides that one. A stop message will remove the designation and let you assign another. I hadn’t noticed this happening but it’s possible I had MMC turned off when I tried using my Unitor 8 as a patchbay. Unless it’s some other kind of start message they’re referring to. I can check this out again next time I’m in the studio.

It’s page 41 in the manual. http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_manuals/emagic_unitor8_mkII_amt8_manual.pdf

>But my real problem is that there are no real options for good 19” 8x8 Midi interfaces after all >those years.

I’ve got two 8x8s using Copperlan, Alyseum AL-88. 8x8, patchable and they use ethernet not USB.

http://www.alyseum.com/al-88.html
http://www.copperlan.org/

Yep, cool and pricey - but it seems that ethernet is better for such tasks.

The AL-88c is a bit cheaper at £138. The only thing you lose with that is rack mounting and a front panel button.

Rack mounting is essential for me, but it is a worthy candidate for my new years G.A.S. list. But then i still need two of them ! I really do not get it why the rackmount unit is 2.5 times more expensive.

I have one in a rack with all my rack gear and one underneath my keyboard stand, for the keyboards. It works rather nicely.

There’s even a Copperlan/MIDI to CV module which is very comprehensive.

This is no longer needed as i now own a Beatstep Pro…

The rackmount has internal PSU, the non-rack mount has external PSU. Having an internal PSU requires more strict safety testing.

But you either need it or you don’t. There’s not much else which can be expanded so easily (you can use an ethernet switch to add more units). Plus there’s an iPad iOS app and you can use iPad apps via wifi.

Raaaahh i dont wanna hear it ! I am nearly drooling, in the long run i am going to replace my Unitor-8 interfaces which are dying step-by-step.
But as taxes lure around the corner, i still have to wait with that.