XProtoLab Portable Oscilloscope

After kickstarter campaign It seems this is will be available soon.

Will this be enough for testing DIY Audio stuff ?

XProtoLab Portable Oscilloscope

General Specifications:

ATXMEGA32A4 36KB Flash, 4KB SRAM, 1KB EEPROM
Graphic OLED display 1.3", 128x64 pixels
Enclosure size: 3.13" x 1.83" 0.7"
PDI interface.
4 tactile switches
USB connectivity: Windows, Android
Logic Analyzer specifications:

8 Digital Inputs, 3.3V / 5V
820k ohm input impedance
Maximum sampling rate: 2MSPS
Frequency counter: 12Mhz
Protocol Sniffer: UART, I2C, SPI
Internal pull up or pull down.
Buffer size: 256

Oscilloscope specifications:

2 Analog Inputs
Maximum Sampling rate: 2MSPS
Analog Bandwidth: 200kHz
Resolution: 8bits
Input Impedance: 1MΩ 15pF
Buffer size per channel: 256
Input Voltage Range: -14V to +20V

AWG specifications:

1 Analog Output
Maximum conversion rate: 1MSPS
Analog Bandwidth: 50kHz
Resolution: 8bits
Output current > +/- 7mA
Buffer size: 256
Output Voltage: +/- 4V

I wonder if the case cracks open and you can rack mount that?

What about this and a case from fcd?
Oh just looked a bit better and it’s SMT…

For that price youll get a decent used 20MHZ HAMEG, HP or TEKTRONIX with which you will be better off - if you dont want to carry around your scope the whole day.

200kHz Analog Bandwith with 8 BIts resolution won’t show you the real quirks in an Audio signal if thats what you are heading for. Little spikes that you can hear easily can see on any analog Scope will get lost either because of the low Time or Voltage Resolution.

@Fitvideo
I ordered this one :wink:

@fcd72
yes, a mate in NY has one, it is really the choice between that and this ADDAC
cheers

ah, an oscilloscope thread, excellent. i’ve been contemplating getting one for a while. but i don’t know what to look for exactly.

i’ve looked at the jones o’tool - but 250 euro would be quite an investment. and isn’t that screen a little small?

when looking for a decent scope, what am i looking for, i.e. what kinds of specs should it have to be useful for things like vco waveshaper calibration etc.

@fcd: when you say a used ‘20mhz hameg’ - 20mhz would be its bandwidth or what?

20 MHz Analog. Any manufaturer that comes to Mind. If you wont buy a used one and are on a tight Budget an small digital Rigol is the next best choice.

Look at EvilBay

Oh, this one is perfect

ok thanks for the tip.

seeing that many of those scopes in the bay are being sold without probes (‘tastkopf’ - nice german word), what am i looking for when looking for probes?

the connector will be standardized, i hope?

do the mhz-values have to match, or could i use a probe advertised as ‘60mhz’ on a 20mhz scope?

yo mic, get one of the later HAMEG 205-3s - its really a bang for the money!
If you dont like it ill take it :wink:

For ShruthiPoking just get any 1:1 Probe (actually you will want 2…) i use these

EDIT: To late - ordered one. Do you want my old HAMEG 204? Looks like it has been thru WW2 but works rock solid - if so drop me a line :wink:

Hallo fcd72,
where do you connect the two probes on Shruthi-1 with SMR4-2? I check the audio waveform at audio out. But voltage? I have a very beautiful and old Beckmann Industrial 20Mhz
Gengisthecan

You only need one Probe as each probe should have a GND connector.
So connect your GND to any GND point on the Shruthi, set your Timebase to something like 0,2ms/cm and Voltage to 2V/cm, show a copy of the schematics on your screen and poke around.
If you touch the Rails you should see a nice straight line 2,5cm from the 0.

I own an early xprotolab. I believe that it’s similar to that of the kickstarter project, except that there is no case (you can plug it directly on a breadboard).
it’s quite convenient because of functionnalities that are not available in analog oscilloscopes, like snapshot, FFT, auto-calibration and so on. The form factor is nice, as I said you can plug it on your breadboard, which saves a lot of space.
It proved to be pretty useful when I designed my first tube amplifiers. I haven’t used it on synth-related gear yet, though.
I believe that a secondhand hameg and a xprotolab can complement pretty well.

Funny. I got two of these coming in the mail because of KS this week. I was gonna give it to a friend but I don’t think he quite understands what its for…soooo I’ll be willing to trade it for a ambika PCB set and ATmega chip. (or any other interesting sdiy)

I’d even throw in a Peak Design camera leash as a bonus…PM me if interested.

for $70 you can get a dso nano

ah, those nanos do look cute.

but how well are they suited for sdiy stuff?

Let me put it this way: I had a slight problem with my LFO dropping a single sample. You heard this in the modulated OSC, you have it on the modulated Filter, but you didnt see it in the cheapo Windows Software Oscilloscope we had available that Night. On my ancient HAMEG i instantly spotted a tiny spike - the one skipped sample. Thats the difference between a cheap digital Scope and any Analog scope for Audio applications.

On the other Side you want something for watching slow (<10Hz) oscillations, here you want something with Memory. Typically a Digital Scope, but the Hameg 205 i refered above is best of both worlds - analog Scope with sufficient digital Memory.

EDIT;
OR see it this way: what do you like better: an analog Filter or a Digital one? See. Everything Digital can only be an approximation of the real World and you want to solve real problems, dont you?

I find more uses for something fast and analog, than for something with a bandwidth < 500kHz with plenty of features. Toggling pins and timing short segments of code, looking at fast SPI clocks, checking pesky oscillations due to missing or badly soldered isolation resistors/bandwidth-limiting caps, etc…

@ mic.w

Works for me for checking waveforms, signal levels, gates, etc. The fact that its smaller than a pack of smokes is really what I like most about it.

@altitude: good enough to test and calibrate a x0xb?

I keep meaning to get one of those Nano’s. I’ll probably need one for my DIY projects this year. I won’t be dealing with digital electronics much, so I reckon it will do just fine. They are up to a MK 3 version now too.