x0x Heart

@sammy123 interesting… Yes, something else could be wrong. Most of my modules are DIY jobs. They all seem to work individually, but it could be that some are consuming more power than they should, I suppose. I did manage to get a Doepfer Wasp Filter to work, too, on top of the modules above. An MI Links, in place of the Wasp Filter brought the uZeus to its knees, though, as did a Hexinverter NeinOhNein Kick, and a NeinOhNein Clap.

a|x

I guess a process of elimination could narrow it down.

@toneburst: you could unplug the power leads and measure resistances between the power points - wait a little for the caps to charge, then see if there is a drain somewhere (=low resistance).

As for your other initial questions (besides the volume one): tuning was fairly straightforward, except that you need to connect stuff with flyleads (male/female breadboard cables) as you cannot tune with the unit fully assembled. The extra temporary wiring takes more time than the tuning itself …
I do have plastic tuning screwdrivers, looking as flimsy as the pots themselves.

For the knobs I decided to go for all different colours (Davies 1900h clones from Thonk as well) :slight_smile:
Helps to remember what is what …

I’ve realised that my x0x Pacemaker pots are wonky :frowning:
Haven’t tried putting all the Davies knobs on yet, but have a nasty feeling they’re going to look crooked, too. Probably too late to straighten the pots, now.

a|x

This is a quite easy task. Unsolder the ground clamps at the sides and the heat all three pins at the same time to align them. Then resolder the ground clamps.

@nightworxx it’s the ‘heat all three pins at the same time’ bit that’s the stumbling-block…

I’m going to try fitting the Davies knobs, and see how bad it looks, before I risk trashing the pads on the Pacemaker pcb.

a|x

if you have a heat gun, you can heat all the pins at the same time and ease it back into place

Don’t have one, though…

a|x

put a hot air rework gun on your “hardware to get” short list, a cheap chinese one will work fine. i paid $40 for mine at mcm and it has become a tool i use all the time

@altitude something like this?

That’s exactly the one I have (got it on sale), just clamp the board, heat the solder side of the pot/encoder/socket whatever and pull the part out (or let gravity take care of it for some things). You have to watch the distance of the nozzle to the board and for plastic parts but it works very well and will pay for itself

Probably pretty good for removing smd parts too, right?

that’s what it is designed for but I use it on TH parts just as much

a.w.e.s.o.m.e

I am going to have to grab one soon as I have a lot of SMD projects in the pipeline.

The x0x Heart is pretty good for hi-hats, too, I’ve discovered. If you feed in white noise as an external input, the accent effect creates closed hi-hats.

https://soundcloud.com/toneburst/x0x-heart-random-hats

x0x Heart triggered by Turing Machine, output passed through Doepfer A-124 Wasp Filter set to high-pass. Lots of modulation of x0x Heart Decay, Env Mod and Cutoff.

a|x

Hey alx, could you please stop mouth-watering and producing this insane G.A.S ?
Now i want one…

@eelco the Pacemaker manual says you just need to connect the Tuning pot with flying leads. Did you connect other stuff, too?

a|x

@toneburst
I did - as I have lots of male/female breadboard leads anyway (cheap on ebay …), I just connected all, even though that is not needed, of course. But it’s faster to just connect all instead of thinking about which ones, AND one can simply use the VCF out to listen to the tuning. And test everything else at the same time.
Of course I used MI’s Module Tested for this tuning and testing :slight_smile:

Like these

Leaving some connected to each other helps as well.