x0x Heart VCO

Hey everybody!
Got one of those x0x heart boards. pretty cool little thing and sounds sweet. I’ve built it into a box controlled by Teensy.
Though I have some questions for the VCO CV In range if some one brainier than me can answer me.
Im using a DAC to drive the CV that has a range from 0 to 4 Volts. But this doesn’t give me even full 4 octaves. (i noticed that generally below something like 0.5V or so) the pitch doesn’t even change… The manual stated that the max voltage is strictly 5V, so the 303 can only produce notes over 5 octaves? does any one know the CV in range of the 303, can it go over 5 volt? or the range of the VCO tuning? can I set it to something like half volt per octave?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

My OSC 303 from Dinsync doesn’t produce more than 3-4 octaves, it certainly doesn’t reach 5… At least not without substantial re-tuning, which means that it effectively stay at three octaves or so, you just move the available octaves up or down one…
Expecting a OSC with the 303 design to go more than 3-4 octaves seems like a lot of disappointment coming your way - it’s not really suitable as a main Oscillator :&

It will essentially drone on and on with no change below the range it’s capable of, and be a high squeal over it. So, seems like you built everything correctly.
It’s a lovely sound though :slight_smile:

@ghztomash The original 303 had a 3 octave range, so I don’t see why the x0x Heart should work outside that range, to be honest. I’d be interested to know if you do manage to get a larger range out of it, though.

I’m waiting for a Mouser order for hearts so I can build my x0x Heart Pacemaker board. Looking forward to trying that with the Turing machine!

Did you find it difficult to tune the x0x Heart board, by the way? I’m a bit worried about that bit, I must admit. I’d broken several cermet trimmers in the past, trying to tune Shruthi-1 filter boards, and those SMT trimmers on the Heart board look pretty delicate…

a|x

303 with turing is interesting, but slightly problematic - the Turing has a tendency to go above or below three octaves, which of course just nets you a droning sound… One of those times where the Voltages expander is really nice to have :slight_smile:

@V’cent I have Voltages, too. I bought a combined Grayscale panel, and Turing Machine, Voltages and Pulses expanders. I don’t really have anything to test it with yet, but I’m hoping it will play nicely with Voltages. Since the inverted output has both scale and offset controls, I should be able to get it to produce CVs within the required range. I was hoping to use Pulses outputs to trigger the envelope, accent and slide of the x0x Heart.

a|x

Derailment alert:

Incidentally, I was thinking of getting a Barton Dual Quantizer kit (or maybe a pre-assembled one, as it’s still quite cheap), to run my Turing Machine through.

I’m a bit confused as to how this works, exactly. I can see you can use it to quantise voltages to a particular scale-type, but what I can’t get my head around is how exactly that maps to actual notes. I mean, if it’s quantising to a major scale, what scale is it, exactly- I mean is it C-major, E-Flat Major, or what?

Would I need to pipe the result through a CV transposer module, in order to ensure notes where actually in a particular key?

Sorry if this is a stupid question…

a|x

The Turing machine spits out random voltages, so it could be anything - I have very much considered the Barton dual quantizer, but haven’t gotten around to getting one…
This is the result of a turing machine, peaks for drums, grids for clocks 'n sequencing & a OSC 303 with VCF 303 for filtering… It’s not particularly interesting musically, but it does show off what you can expect, -the drums…

Getting the Voltages to output something that the OSC 303(and by extension the x0x) will actually play is quite easy. I have to say that I haven’t really encountered any Turing sequence that sounded absolutely horrible, which has delayed my acquisition of a quantizer considerably. But it would be nice to feel like I have some control of it’s output(because even with voltages, I’m very aware of how little control I actually have…).

I must have lost track of all of Peaks’ modes because I don’t remember having put samples there O_o ?

Peaks has two drum modes? That you made? :wink:
As far as I know, one is the standard Anushri drums, and the other is algorithm based recreations of sounds…
Edit : Ahh, you mean the blip on the soundcloud - Yeah, that’s incorrect, should say recreate stuff mode…

The Anushri drums are also not samples.

Didn’t mean to suggest that those were samples - it was quite late when I put that blip up, so can’t say my brain worked even remotely properly ^^

Anyhow, the sound is the crux of my post, nevermind the sleep-drunk ramblings :wink:

I can’t deny it’s still a sound that I very much enjoy. :slight_smile:

I enjoyed the awesome squelch of the 303 so much that I ended up ordering a OSC 303 with original parts immediately upon discovering that it was available(since he also made a CCCP version, with different easier to get parts, but roughly the same). Just had to get the original. I remember lusting over the x0xb0x when I was younger, and later the x0xi0, but couldn’t afford either back then.

Once Paul Barker(dinsync) sent out the mail about the VCF 303 being available for preorder I immediately preordered one, and got all giddy when it came… That was three years or so before finally taking the full plunge into modular, and actually getting a case and power for those two… Still, got all gidyy everytime I opened the drawer I kept them in, promising myself to connect them up to a modular of my own soon…

Daft choice, but really glad I made it. :slight_smile:

@toneburst you tune your oscillator to the root note. So if its tuned to C the quantizer will force the Turing Machine to the closest note in whatever scale you chose. So if you chose minor, all the ‘random’ voltages will be forced to notes in the C minor scale. I recommend the Dual Nice Quantizer from Barton. I have both and the DNC is nicer…much nicer.

@sammy123 that sort of makes sense. The quantiser must be quantising to some fixed set of note/voltage values, though- isn’t that how a quantizer works? Or are there no fixed mappings of voltages to actual notes, in modular land?

What’s the major advantages of the DNQ over the kit that Synthcube sell (I presume it’s two of the Barton Simple Quantizer boards behind one panel)?

a|x

Well the DNQ has channel 1 normalled to channel 2, which is handy. It also has more scale options. There is also a lot of cv control, but i don’t use that very often.

Explaining how they work is tough, but basically just tune you’re oscillator to the root you want and it works how I described above. Maybe the best way to describe it is that the quantizer applies the scale intervals to the root voltage.

Thanks for the replies!

Here’s some more details on the build
http://tomashg.com/?p=1130