Which parts to stockpile?

Hi all,

So, for the first time I’m sourcing parts for a project - the LP2 + delay Shruthi. I realize that a few components are quite rare (the v2164, for instance) and it might be sensible to buy more than one of some. However, if I’m supposed to transform one room in my tiny apartment into an electronics warehouse, which components do you recommend me to get a bunch of? This is not necessarily just for this project, but for future, similar projects in general.

Cheers

@thhmas This thread is a good starting point > List of useful Set of Parts , Components to keep at side for DIYers ?

@cereyanlimusiki I had totally missed that one, thanks!

Don’t know if the TL1100 switches are in that thread, but get a bunch of those for future projects, almost everyone uses them in some way, and they are hardish to get. The ones on ebay have the same footprint, but not the same size at the top…

Yes they are :slight_smile: They got mentioned by yours truly in comment #3. Most other 12mm tact switches with a square plunger has a 3.8mm square. The TL1100 with their 3.3mm^2 plunger ended up in more DIY projects so that’s how it goes.

@Jojjelito While I’ve got you on the thread, any place which is especially good to order from if you are living in Sweden? I’ve been thinking of trying to get as much as possible from Electrokit since they are located in the same city as I, but is unsure of if I will save any money on that strategy really.

@thhmas: I have a company rebate from my previous work that’s still good with Elfa, so their prices - especially if I go there to pick up my stuff, are kinda good then. The prices for the great unwashed - not so much - some caps and passives can be really cheap there.

Otherwise, Electrokit is good for lots of basic stuff like resistors, caps, some pots, cable, IC sockets, op-amps and standard logic. Otherwise, I’m shopping consolidated orders every 2nd month at any of: Banzai (DE) - they have Vactrols and lots of odd but nifty stuff, Rapid (UK) - OLEDs and some great knobs, Reichelt (DE) - cheap and not so bad at all for shipping, Digi-Key(US), Mouser (US), Farnell (UK) and sometimes RS (UK). Some really odd stuff I get from Ebay. I hear that Musikding (DE) is good too - hafta check them out!

Specialties for Synth-DIY: kits, PCBs and matched transistors etc can be bought at Thonk (UK), Synthcube (US) and at Bridechamber (US). All of these have been great for various things over the years. SmashTV for MIDIbox stuff comes with recommendations!

My recommendation is to pool your orders, get stuff with friends etc, and you’ll save on shipping.

Anything through-hole may be at risk. It only takes some stupid EU directive to kill off some DIY resource.

@Jojjelito: Great list, thanks! This whole thing feels like a deep jungle for a DIY-newbie like me. Getting resistors is one thing, the more rare parts is another. Now I just have to make some friends which share my interest in electronics so I can buy stuff with them; all my current friends have stupid hobbies, likeidunno, football (?).

@6581punk: :’(

@thhmas Not saying it will happen. But the EU seems to be moving in a direction which suits big business and trade. But at the same time they’re tearing up regulations.

The EU meant well when they banned lead in solder, but the effect has been even more landfill due to increased failure rates in consumer goods.

@6581punk Yeah, some extensive regulations might lead to unintended side effects. Don’t get me started on EU and regulations like these… I had the pleasure of going through the prestudies which lead to the EU “light bulb ban”, and it was, I don’t know, dense, uncomprehensive and… I think the technical term is “weird”.

The incandescent ban? that was stupid given the amount of rubbish in a fluorescent bulb, circuits, capacitors and the like. Plus the glass is filled with a small amount of mercury, which is really toxic.

Incandescent bulb being just a piece of wire in some gas. LED bulbs are good though.

Yeah, that one. They actually did rather extensive simulations of different scenarios, how you could phase out the incandescent lamp (slow or fast, 100 W first, then lower watts, and so on), and how that would affect CO2 emissions, Hg emissions, energy consumption, etc, with those effects you are mentioning in mind. Given specific assumptions in the model, of course, and I guess there is where the problems start to appear. How much of the compact fluorescent lamps will be handed in for recycling, for instance? I don’t remember all the details, but I think they just stated “Oh, this is quite hard to estimate”, and assumed an EU average of 20% or so. I am not an expert in that field specifically, but I ask myself how robust simulations which contain a few assumptions like that really are.

Oh, and also: I like low tech. After the collapse of civilization it will be easier to manufacture stuff which give off light if the infrastructure for making incandescent lamps is still there; LEDs and CFLs rely on so much electronics and more complex stuff, so it will be harder if we completely switch over to that technology. (Insert half a smiley, or so.)

People make it always seem like a collapse of civilization in the near future was already a done deal. But for now I definitely prefer light bulbs too for the mentioned reasons, and, what’s even more important for myself, incandescent light sucks. LED light also. If I look at that stuff it feels as if you stare into an anti air spotlight, yet it isn’t bright enough when you look somewhere else. If anything, with the way they function (irregular bursts) and the amount of toxicity and raw material wasted in them, those new lamps are a good way to make the so much sought after collapse of ‘civilisation’ come faster. But I doubt that after that I’d have no greater problems than how to light my survivor cave

One problem with the judgement day is that there will probably not be enough energy resources - or any infrastructure - to power your electronic music equipment. That is one reason for getting a “proper” instrument, like a guitar. Or an accordion.

When that day comes I’ll be bitter enough to carry a grudge. I might just treat all fellow beings as a food source…

Philips Master LED bulbs are great. Just expensive. But I have two in the rooms I use the most.

Got all LEDs, the dimmable warm white kind. Then some good ole bulbs for mood lighting. That stockpile should last me a decade, by then LEDs will have been improved even further by leaps and bounds.

I think if you dim normal bulbs to the sort of weak output of energy saving bulbs I’m sure the energy savings aren’t much different.