Westlicht Per|former Sequencer

This deserves a heads-up - a fantastic diy sequencer - huge amount of work gone into it and it’s really powerful but easy to use…

Highly recommended… there’s even a simulator on the link below…

performer sequencer

1 Like

Indeed! Looks like it has lots of features plus Launchpad compatibility.

I’m looking forward to more videos, reviews and building one!

0 Likes

Quite an interesting project. Is anyone familiar with his Mutable firmware tweaks?

0 Likes

Has he done more than the tweak for Peaks?

0 Likes

That looks very cool.
No info on availability, that I could see.

0 Likes

Launchpad integration is a plus. Wonder if it will support the RGB pads of the Launchpad 2.

0 Likes

It’s available now - all files on his github. Can get pcbs and panels made up etc

No idea about launchpad 2 - I’ve only got a launchpad mini

0 Likes

Maybe a group-buy will get organised on Muffs, then. Getting one-off PCBs made is s but pricey.

0 Likes

It’s not that expensive with the Chinese pcb fab plants (usually ~$20 with delivery for 10 pcbs) - I quite often get pcbs fabbed. I then give away what I dont use - have never accepted cash for them… I often get given pcbs and panels that others have done as well… sort of quid pro quo… but no expectation of it…

With the per|former I know the pusherman fb group is getting some made soon that I believe the designer is happy about…

0 Likes

This is quite a big board, so it’s going to be a bit more than that, I think.

Fortunately, I got an email from someone I was buying some other boards from, asking if I wanted to buy a Performer set from them, at what seemed like a reasonable price, as they were about to do an order from their usual fab., so I’m going with that :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I haven’t seen any demos of this thing in action, so I’m taking it on trust that it’s not riddled with hardware design faults and firmware bugs… eek.

0 Likes

this web emulator they built is super cool!

0 Likes

Just finished building one for myself and a friend - this is a great piece of gear, kudos to Simon for his work in pulling this together!

2 Likes

Looking very good! Where did you get the frontpanel and PCBs?
Anyone having some spare ones in Europe/Germany?

0 Likes

Those 256x64 pixel OLED displays are about half the price they were 18 months ago, making them very affordable, and they have firmware support for greyscaling, allowing proper anti-aliased text and nice graphics.

Judging by the empty panel space around the display, it uses a carrier board, yes? Thst’s The only downside, the carrier boards are quite large.

0 Likes

The display comes on a carrier board, yes.

I always thought mono OLEDs had pixels that were just on or off. Is it possible to set brightness for each pixel, or is the “grayscaling” a post-processing effect running on the display itself?

I’m looking forward to seeing how the Performer graphics look. The videos above are impressive!

0 Likes

I snagged them from someone in Poland who had spares via FB

1 Like

I think the greyscaling is done by dithering or PWM of each pixel, but that dithering is done by the display controller chip, so you don’t have to do it yourself in the driver code, which runs on the MCU. At least I think that’s how it works.

0 Likes

I have some experience with the Newhaven displays (the ones also found in the new Elektron devices). I can look up the specific part numbers, if you like. Those have 4bit brightness resolution but to me it doesn’t look very linear so it really is less than that. Also they have very noticeable banding (when there’s many pixels in a row switched on, they all appear slightly dimmer than they should).

0 Likes