Waldorf Quantum Poly 8-Voice Hybrid

https://youtu.be/Phi8zPZcWtw

Impressive. Good to see a decent screen on a high end synth.

Just watched the video. I must admit, it’s almost too feature rich - a bit overwhelming.
But I really like the clean interface design and the colour coding. Axel Hartmann nailed it, imo. How the leds cast their light on the knobs - gorgeous.
Not sure about the sound, though. The resonators sound extremely harsh/digital. But maybe that’s what they’re aiming for. The nasty digital sounds are a Waldorf thing after all.

Looks great! Probably the most original synth in a long while… Surprised that the resonators are considered as signal generation blocks instead of filters (for example, why not allowing the particular/granular source to be processed by the resonators)?

It’s good to see Waldorf going for something big for a change. I guess the hardware market has recovered somewhat.

The visual trick with the leds reflecting off the knobs is sweet.

Am I getting this wrong, or is this indeed almost a “reverse hybrid” in the sense that it’s mostly digital, but uses D/A and A/D converters only to route the signal through the analog filter?

Yes. That’s how I understood it, too. Makes me wonder how much benefit the filter actually brings. For the money involved in the AD/DA, CV generation and the filters themselves they could have used a crapload of additional DSP power to make a virtual analog filter that sounds almost as good as the real deal while being more flexible and probably also cheaper overall.
But then there wouldn’t be the word “analog” in the product description anymore.

I wonder if they took a closer look at Rings/Elements for the resonator part…

The DSI Evolvers did A/D and back again.

I wonder how having “only” 8 voices impacts on this product category, what with the Rev2 and Prophet12 etc.

It’s got a significantly better interface than those. Not that the P12 is bad, but having a nice big screen helps.

I love the sounds of the unit in the video. I think the implementation of the interface on the display is crucial.