Waldorf micro q - display replacement?

@mic.w
Maybe they use glowing Caps to illuminate the Display?
Scherz beiseite - did you harm anything on your µQ?

> You need to check the backlight voltage.

you’re telling me now! :smiley:

> did you harm anything on your µQ?

nah, the synth is fine. but i must admit that, having burnt one prospective replacement display, i’m currently not feeling adventurous enough to pursue this any further. so i think i’ll put it all back together as it was and try to learn to live with that ugly pale whiteish original display…

if anybody else does find a working solution, i’ll be happy to follow their instructions, though. :slight_smile:

That’s why I used an OLED in my DSS1. OLEDs don’t use the backlight power, so are a much simpler mod.

> OLEDs don’t use the backlight power, so are a much simpler mod.

now you’re telling me. :slight_smile:

earlier you said:

> LCD option is less risky IMHO.

Sorry. I meant from a sizing perspective. OLEDs tend to be shallower and the display a little smaller, so may leave a gap.

But you have to get the multimeter out and measure the backlight power since LEDs for backlights are fairly recent.

OLEDs tend to emitt all kinds of nasty Spikes on the Rails since they switch on and off hundreds of LEDs…. go ask TubeOhm about it :wink:

@6581punk: no worries, of course i’m not blaming you for my failed experiment. obviously, i did that entirely at my own risk.

@fcd: would that be a problem in as thoroughly digital a synth as the microq?

i really hope somebody will take up this project and find a solution, cause boy is that stock display ugly!

There is nothing to take up, grab that Winstar I linked, wire it correctly and you’re done. No noise, plug and play. Replace those God awful water clear LEDs while you have it open

oh what the hell, looks like this oled from tme is pin-compatible with the winstar, so i guess i’ll blow another 20 euros and give that one a try.

i don’t have any problem with those clear leds. as long as they aren’t super-bright 4ms style retina burners, they are fine by me…

That’s the same one as I bought for my Korg DSS1. I’ve got a spare one sitting about, so might have a go at my MicroQ.

Looking at the Micro Q, it uses an LED display already. There’s no backlight pins on the existing display either. So not sure why mic.w’s LCD didn’t work, incorrect wiring?

For an OLED you need to remove the spacers from the bolts completely or the display won’t be close enough to the LCD bezel. The LCD keeps the bezel in place. But that then doesn’t leave much space for a connector underneath the display. So you might need to solder wires to the display or a connector on the other side instead.

Some synths use black on some pale background. Some would argue that it may imply better readability, others that those LCDs are aestethically challenged since they’re not text color on black. There’s tons of nefarious reasons, the chief one is EL foil removal for me at least, the rest is just good ole gear pimping…

@6581punk: i wired the replacement lcd exactly as the original one. the original one (ab)uses the logic power supply (pin 2) to also power the backlight (pin 15):

now one of those fat caps on the replacement lcd is toast:

> i wired the replacement lcd exactly as the original one.

ah, and that was probably my mistake: according to the data sheet, the backlight power supply pin of the lcd i used is pin 16, while pin 15 is “Negative Voltage Output” - whatever that means.

Must be. OLED works fine anyway. 1:1 mapping. Just skip pin 3 as that’s LCD contrast.

@Jojjelito …“EL foil removal for me at least…”

Dont forget the whiny inverter as well…

@mic.w

When you do that, you dont have any current limiting on the back light. not good

@altitude: do what - wire the new lcd exactly as waldorf wired theirs, or more generally power the backlight from the lcd logic power source?

i’ve ordered two of those rather costly oleds now, but just out of curiosity: would there be a relatively simple way of making that tme lcd work in the microq? and what are my chances of resurrecting my spare lcd by just replacing that fried cap?

@altitude: Yup! That’s what I really don’t want in any way, shape or form in my synths. I like to listen to their output, not coil whine from inverters or, shudder, graphic cards.

>and what are my chances of resurrecting my spare lcd by just replacing that fried cap?

A cap won’t cost much. So you might as well try it.

From what I can see of the OLED (I fitted that last night) it is fully functional. Even the Waldorf graphic logo on start up. You might want to use some washers instead of finding smaller spacers. I didn’t use any but you have to be careful not to over-tighten then as you’re putting the pressure on the display.

@6581punk Getting any noise form the OLED? Which one did you use specifically?