Vxxy DCM8

hey jhulk: say more about your compact falsh drive scsi adaptor. That is what a lot of people recommend for kurzweils, no moving parts, no heat low power, big capacity. Also starting to look at a $15 laptop enclosure that lets you use two cf cards as bootable hardrives for laptops and ditch the old heavy moving parts ones so you can use old laptops for way longer, plus the l-ion batteries are 2-3 more capacity (5200 mha versus 2000) so you can use old laptops in new ways.

seems to be the same as this one (maybe the same guys)… :
http://flavors.me/cdm8#_

The website doesn’t have any content but you can find several video is you search CDM8…

I think it began as a kit project and then went full product.

Review I guess: Its interesting --a keeper. Very solid metal case w wood ends, nicely finished. I have one from the 1st 50. Unique take on chiptune style drum machine and it does it well with suprises. 10 oscillator types, 9 noise types, simple fm synth with a modulator, six types lfo, the usual three filters low/bandpass/high with modulation for resonance, controls for Freq/decay or sweep/vol, although there are some pulse width controls as well. LFO modulation can run the 8-16 steps, or the step as triggered or free running. The three filter types can have moduilated resonance.

223 preset instruments 32 user designed. They range from the usual suspectys, well done: 9808 & 909, but also chiptune kicks, video game kits, a great human drum kit, wavetable, generative, 4bit, space invaders, noise with pitch and enevlopes, FM twang kit, syntoms, ringmod kits. For example the 808 snare has four variations: basic, soft, resonant, and low. The chiptune snare has 10 variations.I count 15 variations of clap. Similar number for types of highhats. A lot of other variations are in pitch, drive up, drive down. All instruments can be opened and tweaked further.

Envelopes are mostly limited to decay/sweep typical of a drum synth, but those initial pitch events found on old simmons modules would need careful programming. Basically when programming each bank uses all or most of the 8 step buttons for different parameters, though patterns can be 8 or 16 steps.

External note can be midi mapped to a specific instrument easily. some cut & paste features for changing instruments or copying patterns. You can slave run to start on the external clock. efx include loop 4/8 or 2 beats hold on current or 1st beat, stutter, advance poattern, hold current pattern within a song as long.

Best features: the 16 different DAC bit crunch masking settings. It can get real nasty sounding if you want. Or clean. Shift plus encorder speed jumps thru values. You can keep an alternate DAC and alternate bpm in memory and jump back and forth in play mode. And shift +6 is a very useable stutter at 2x bpm. I find myself building patterns on the button (ie button 1, and then stepping through teh variations using the 8 bank buttons, and tweaking DAC and stutter.

2 drum channels, one sound per step, editable at the step level I am told but haven’t done that yet. The sysex firmware upgrade worked well. Haven’t crashed it yet. Shipped with a manual 1.0, site shows an earlier beta. bpm 32-256 8 levels of live undo per pattern. Midi in/out, and mono audio out with volume knob. 64 patterns in 8 step by 8 banks.

Issues: the DAC changes have different volume levels, by that I mean the clean DAC sounds are quieter than the chiptune crazy ones. Sysex firmware upgrade was easy from bus powered midi. Not a usb unit. Haven’t been able to crash it yet. Wishlist: swing feature! and a power switch. The next 50 are on preorder now at www.xvvy.net for shipping in a few weeks.

thanks for the review, sealion.