Vs .Vs . Vs. Help!

Hello Friends,

i need help! maybe its not the right place to ask for that, but i´ve never found a better forum than this one !

Dave Smith Tetra or Mutable Instruments Ambika ? And why ? Please give me a reasonable answer because im a bit confused
i need a small polyphonic synth, with opened possibilities and which won’t make me bored , just like the shruthi :slight_smile:

ambika for 600€ or Tetra for 550€ ?

Thanks a lot !

On this forum people will tell you Ambika…
Including me! :slight_smile:

I’ve had a Tetra, i found it a bit boring. The Ambika is a very surprising synth with a unique sound.
It can do many things. It can sound very analog (because it is) and it can sound very digital
(because it is). I think the UI on the Ambika is a lot better than on the the Tetra, i didn’t like editing the Tetra on it’s own at all. You really need the software editor for that.
Only thing against the Ambika is that it’s not always very HiFi. It will have grit, dirt and aliasing sometimes, but that is also character.

I had been looking at both the Tetra and the Ambika for some time. Right now I would go with the Ambika because it offers more features, more voices and you can change the voicecards if you get bored.

Editing the ambika should also be similar as the tetra right ? lots of features and little bit of knobs
something good on the tetra actually are the stepseq. it has a lot inside of it , but as you said one must have the editor, which annoys me abit. Plus , one must pay for the editor.

only out of ideology i would support mutable instruments more than dave smith, but its second hand. and my support won’t support anything, so im feeling my self out of guilty and im free to make sins

since a friend of mine has a prophet 8 , which sound really power makes me think of the tetra. otherwise i would have taken the ambika with closed eyes.

can someone explain for me the idea behind the voice cards ? is it the same like the filterborads in in shruthi ? do i have to buy them built them etc ? or what ?

and as i understand mutable instruments will stop producing ambikas

> Editing the ambika should also be similar as the tetra right ?

Not at all. The Tetra is really designed for being used with an external editor. The purpose of the 4 encoders is to have 4 freely assignable parameters to jam with. That you can edit the synth with those 4 encoders is sort of a side effect - because nobody in their right mind could create a full patch without editor!

Here’s how you edit a parameter on the Tetra:

You press a button and you scroll through a list of 150 or so parameters to select the parameter you want to modify. Then you press the button again and you turn the encoder to modify the value. It’s tedious.

Personally I couldn’t stand it for more than 5 minutes.

On Ambika:

You press the button of the section of the synth you want to edit (oscillators, filter, modulations…). Then you have 8 parameters related to this section immediately assigned to the 8 knobs. It’s actually easier than on the Shruthi because there is less navigation between pages - it’s almost always one or two button presses and then long stretches of knob tweaking.

> can someone explain for me the idea behind the voice cards ?

Each voice of the ambika is like an independent Shruthi fitting on a single circuit board. You have 6 of these boards in the synth, one for each voice of polyphony. These boards are available in several versions with various filters: SMR (like the Shruthi main filter), 4P (rounder and more modern), SVF (multimode), and there’s also TubeOhm’s ladder.

> mutable instruments will stop producing ambikas

I no longer sell kits and motherboards, I will run out of voicecards in 2-3 weeks.

thank Oliver
again to the voice cards , the guy who is offering me the ambika says it has 2 voice cards
one SMR and 4P ,
1-so that means that his ambika has only 2 voices ? the more cards the more voices?
2-can one combine different voice cards in one ambika ? f.e 3x4P 1xSMR 2XTubeohm or what?
how does that sounds like?

Where can i oder more voice cards i see nothing in the shop

Tubeohm will offer them in some time (could take a few months i guess)… For comparison of voicecards and opinions about combining different voicecards search the forum. A lot has been written about that.

> 1-so that means that his ambika has only 2 voices ? the more cards the more voices?

Yes, an ambika with two voicecards will only have 2 voices of polyphony.

> can one combine different voice cards in one ambika ? f.e 3x4P 1xSMR 2XTubeohm or what?

Every note of a chord will have a different sound. It can be rich and lively, or it can be terribly annoying (mostly because filters can have very different output levels).

The point of having several different voicecards is to use Ambika as a multitimbral synth, eg mono-bass played on MIDI channel 1 with SMR voicecard, duophonic lead played on MIDI channel 2 with tubeohm ladder, and 3-note pad played on MIDI channel 3 with 4P.

> Where can i oder more voice cards i see nothing in the shop

http://shop.mutable-instruments.net/collections/ambika

The Tetra does have some cool features… Audio Mod on the filter, Feedback and wide frequency sweeps. Other than that, the Ambika wins on all fronts… especially with a metal box.

Ambika is a hybrid, Tetra is a fully analog (digital controlled) synth.

Ambika has more sonic possibilities due to the various oscillator types. Tetra will be a bit smoother in terms of raw oscillator sound.

Ambika has a few more oscillator modulations, bit crushing and so on, which when filtered create much different tones that the Tetra won’t be able to create.

Ok so Ambika can be also way too experimental than the tetra right ?
Tetra is ready to plug and make music , ambika need more attention ?

Ambika is ready to plug and make music too, but if you want to dig deeper, there’s something to be dug :slight_smile:

Ambika, simply due to owning a miniak, which is a synth similar to the tetra, at least for the editing portion.
Having one single encoder for editing everything gets old REALLY quick, and it sucks major donkey butt… Really, without a editor for singe encoder synths, programming new sounds becomes tedious work, whereas a system like the ambika, or shruthi makes it a lot easier, so you are more interested/likely in/to making cool sounds.
This isn’t even a ambika specific piece of praise, it’s my general opinion on synths - if I have to use a single encoder for editing, I don’t want it. Period.

You are right guys, i see it now the same way you do :slight_smile:
Big up Ambika
Big up Shruthi
Big up Mutable Instruments ! :slight_smile: