Vince Clarke euro modules

Don’t remember reading about these here?

Link

Eurorack module without CV/Gate outputs? Really?

No i didn’t read about it here too… It’s very weird in the sense that it’s a euro module without CV!
I’m suspecting MI will come up with a module that does everything this does and a lot more.
[edit: always at least a minute to late :)]

Well, I suspect it was a case of generate up to 16 parts, so having 32 or so sockets would take up too much room?

But quite odd from the man who ditched MIDI due to “sloppy timing”.

The auto tuning module seems handy, it’ll keep VCO analogue synths in tune.

Not much info in the PDF though.
PDF

A bit more here:

Website

“Secret proprietary algorithm”. No thanks.

Source

"When an industry-wide standard called MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) was introduced in 1983, Clarke, like most other electronic musicians, gradually migrated to the new technology. However, he continued to prefer his older analogue instruments:

“… CV and Gate is tighter. I can hear and feel that it’s tighter than MIDI – we can even prove it using 'scopes. Because everything is clocked simply, it arrives bang on the beat. The whole production starts to ‘tick over’. Just look at Kraftwerk’s stuff. I think that ‘feel’ has been lost with MIDI sequencers. No matter what you do with MIDI, the music will never sound as good as it did in the good old Futurist days. That’s why our tracks sound the way they do.”[17]
"

Besides the questionable sound, what is actually ‘generated’? Maybe the shake of the camera… the short video was so annoying, did not convince me to read the lines needed to see what it actually does.

Source for “sloppy timing” story ?

Newsflash: great musicians arent always savvy engineers.

He’s talking about jitter which is real though. CV is parallel, so should be tighter.

I’ve already discovered that analogue clock signals on my modular synth in no way guarantee rock-solid timing. Admittedly, that was with a mix of digital and analogue modules, but then some of the gear Vince was using in the mid 80s was also digital/analogue hybrid.

He also famously used a definitely-not-analogue BBC Micro computer to sequence his synths for many years, incidentally. I have a suspicion the timing on that may not have been rock-solid, even if his synths and analogue sequencers did stay locked to the clock pulses driven by it.

I can’t help feeling there’s an element of the Emperor’s New Clothes about the whole MIDI vs. analogue clock debate.

a|x

Yeah, it’s an interesting one, some machines have a reputation for ‘tight’ midi, like the Atari ST, but according to a Mr. Richard D. James, not it you move the mouse…(source - just above the JH Matrix pic about halfway down).
I doubt the BBC Micro should be held up as a yardstick, as @toneburst says. And that module is very weird, as much as I like Vince’s music.

Anything that interupts the CPU on a single core device is going to pause some other task. The ST was rather primitive which meant generally nothing much else was going on when an application was open.

well I can remember the days of the cx5m where you could get a sloppy timing just by sequencing chords… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got some great examples on tape (analogue cassette tape) of my Atari ST completely losing the plot timing-wise, running Cubase. I was quite fond of 32nd notes at the time, mind you… :wink:

a|x

Well I guess that’s more timing going out due to limited CPU grunt.

Or limited bandwidth in a single outgoing MIDI connection.

a|x