Updating firmware questions

Hi guys

Sorry if this is a noob question. I’ve done firmware updates on Keyboards, never modular, and I don’t want to fuck this up.

I have sysex librarian but I usually update using USB on keyboards. It says on the Elements page to send the firmware signal through EXT IN and then play the firmware file into the module.

I have no idea what this means. Play it from where? and using what type of cable?

Apologies again if this is obvious. Please be gentle :smiley:

Almost all of Mutable Instruments’ modules are updated by playing a *.wav file (yes, it is an audio file) to the module. The audio contains the encoded firmware. You have to follow the instructions in the manual to get the module into its “bootloader” mode, where it accepts the firmware data. Some modules required certain buttons pressed on powerup or certain knob positions. Check the manual for yours.

Then play the wav file from your computer or mobile phone. Use a high volume. If the module can’t read the audio data (volume too low or too high or too noisy) it will tell you by flashing its lights in a certain way - again you find this information in the manuals.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the info. Yep I’ve been reading about the procedure of pressing buttons on power up, just couldn’t work out what they meant by playing the file. Again really appreciate it. Gonna give it a shot.

1 Like

Updating firmware is the single issue that seems to cause most confusion amongst MI module users who post here.

It should work fairly easily, provided you get the levels right.

Funnily enough, for anyone who grew up in the 1980s, the idea of playing audio into a microprocessor-based device to reprogram it will seem quite familiar. I think for younger users, though, it seems like quite an odd concept.

Hope you get it working, anyway.

a|x

Before the internet people used to distribute C64 programs via audio signals distributed over radio frequencies. You would tune your radio receiver to that frequency and just tape the audio (hoping the interferences wouldn’t be too bad).

1 Like

That makes complete sense now. I just never put 2 and 2 together. I remember playing those cassettes and waiting patiently for the game to load or not. Had no idea they played them over the radio as means of distribution, thats so cool. Thanks for the memories :slight_smile:

Nice one Al. Makes sense, soon as you said the 80’s I remember playing those sounds off cassette. Fax machines I’m guessing, similar signals.

Gonna have a go when I can find some quiet time this weekend.

cheers mate