Two Marbles?

Anyone out there use two Marbles to sequence two different voices when one Marbles is in its locked state?

Alternatively, what would be suggested to supplement one Marbles?

My scenario is as follows - Marbles sequencing No Coast as a bassline to complement something I’ve captured in Beads. Lock Marbles when needed, yet that leaves me without a sequencing source for Plaits (and potentially, in the near future, Rings).

And yes, I know there are three melodic sources from Marbles, yet irregardless, when locked, I am left without an independent source of notes for Plaits.

I’ve thought about it… but don’t think I’d ever get two marbles.

I enjoy the challenge of getting 2,3,4,5,6 musically related parts from marbles. From a pitch sequencing perspective, I find a sample and holds, slew limiters, branches and quantizers to be good companions to Marbles.

1 Like

Stages with @qiemem firmware is a great addition to Marbles. The Turing machines can act like mini-Marbles.

ornament and crime, and shift registers are also a good partners with marbles

1 Like

This brings up a related issue for me…

Sometimes I’ll discover a locked sequence on Marbles that I really like, but sometimes want to move away from for a while, only to bring it back later. I find that even if I use all the manipulations possible on marbles (dejavu, bias, spread, steps) I’m still not able to get enough departure from the locked seq.

Is there some sort of module that can sample sections of cv, ideally as discreet samples that can be selected or rotated through? So marbles is the generative master, and its output is being recorded and looped, and you switch between those two outputs…

I think the mucorder mode of CVilization would do what you’re looking for. The manual is available here, go to page 19 to read about that mode precisely. There’s also the “quad mucorder” video on that page for a demo.

Hey thanks for sharing the module and the link. I’ve seen it around a few places lately. I love the concept of these deep multifunction modules, but wowzers if this isnt an example of the antithesis of the MI design philosophy! heh, I’ve found that I’m not much for this kinda thing with the button combos and layers of abstraction. Definitely powerful though, with 4 tracks and manipulations.

But you got me poking around and I found a few things that could work as a good partner for this sorta thing : Bishops Miscellany / Mimetic Sequent / o_C (hemispheres CV recorder app) are all cv step recorders. (I’ve tried the latter, and it’s not ideal for this sorta thing, but in a pinch could work).

1 Like

Hello.
Using +5v for the X ouputs will usually open more space for drifting from the main sequence.
Working on a main sequence with spread around 9’ and then after locking it, using bias, spread, right part of deja vu for exemple.
Also, because you have 3 differents but related sequences coming from x1, x2 and x3, using X side in green mode and T side in blinking orange mode (time div/mult), you can use switches and an external clock divider to rythmically go from one to another and putting bits from another sequence into your main one with each sequences on the same scale.
It will be easier with T section in sync (noon) but for greater effect, with each sequence at its own pace.

Could you use a looper pedal or module? 2hp makes a looper. You could also use Morphagene to achieve this result.

The 2hp one is not DC-coupled so cannot sample cv and you cannot scan through the buffer either.

Not a bad solution, I hadn’t thought of switching between the various outputs for more variation.

Now I have played with the 5v range as a way of adding variety, but it had never felt like it got away far enough from the sequence I would later want to return to…

This has me thinking though, using some sort of very slow stepped sequencer to control and modify any and all of the marbles parameters you’re referring to could be a way of building up song structure, or returns to phrasings like I’m looking for. Thanks for weighing in, sometimes all you need is another perspective!!!

I just got a morphagene after long deliberation. It could very well be a perfect tool for this very thing. I look forward to giving it a shot.

I enjoy adding Quantus Pax from Noise Engineering to marbles in order to create separate melodies based off what marbles is spitting out. I also employ another precision adder (quant gemi), mutes switches(Muta Jovis) and sequential switches(Tree) to create evolving or changeable patterns based on marbles original material.

I was thinking loop/record the sound/audio you like so that you can come back to it at any time.

Morphagene offers multiple splices, so you could record a whole variety and scan through them.