Tubeohm Shruthi filters compared to Mutable filters?

Curious what people think of the Tubeohm filters for the Shruthi. I can tell from videos and written descriptions pretty well what the diff Mutable filters sound like, but I’m curious what the sense people have on the Tubeohm filters. I’m thinking of picking up an SMR4 to complement my Ambika 4p, but curious how diff the Tubeohm filters are, and if perhaps it makes sense to get one of those as well. I know the SMR4 is more Rolandish (syrupy resonance) and the Ladder is more Moogish (cleaner and purer, closer to the 4p perhaps?), but beyond that I’m not sure what the diff sounds like in my head, and Parker-Steiner I know is the Minibrute filter but not sure beyond that. Difficult to find demos and comparisons, though maybe I’m looking in the wrong places? Any comparisons out there? I’m not really interested in imitating analog, but rather, that hybrid line between analog and digital that only these sorts of synths can do. Thanks for any input!

Well, André (from TubeOhm) has absolutely nailed both the Moog ladder filter sound, and with a hint of FM that his filter allows, it sounds wicked. And his Steiner-Parker implementation is the best there is - he has tamed the resonance, and the soft distortion is just right. So they are both really excellent filters. Better than the Mutable filters? No, just different, and certainly on-par with them. My only wish is that André would make a eurorack version of his Steiner-Parker filter!

Here a track recorded with two Shruthi, one with the TubeOhm ladder filter, the other with the TubeOhm Steiner-Parker filter.

https://soundcloud.com/bennelong-bicyclist/shruthacon-filter-demo-2

All I can say is that I have an Ambika with 5xSMR and 1xLadder, and the Ladder is truly an excellent complement to the SMR.

The Shruthi can give you very convincing analogue tones, so if you want that “Moog sound”, get the ladder filter. You will not be disappointed.

The Shruthacon Steiner/Parker filter is most likely the best version of it out there. Andre put a lot of love into that one.

If you want an MI filter, go for the 4PM. It covers all of the sounds of the Oberheim Xpander as well as having variable resonance flavors which is not common at all. Thanks to the resonance flavors, you can even get a very convincing MS20 filter.

Side note, if you are wanting a Modal 002/001/008, the 4PM sounds very similar to all of them as they are all based off of the same Xpander idea. I will admit that the Modal oscillators are a lot “cleaner” than the Shruthi oscillators, but YMMV.

Don’t mind me. Just putting my +1 on the Steiner-Parker filter. I love it a lot.
For once, believe the hype :slight_smile:

I have the ladder filter in my Shruthi XT and I absolutely love it. It is slightly overdriven, not distorting, but saturating - which makes everything super thick on bass patches and leads. I don’t very often use the resonance - it is not as syrupy and clean as the SMR4. Its a little more screamy and dirty. But with the resonance down to 0, the filter just sounds soooo beautifully dark and creamy.
By far my favourite filter so far!

BTW, I remember there was a trimmer for setting the “internal volume”. I guess you could use it to control the amount of saturation in the filter if you like it a little cleaner.

All the aforementioned filters are outstanding but Andre’s Stereo shruthi (his newest) was the one that finally made me buy a shruthi / phoenix…it uses the SVF filter and gives you mad swirling stereo powers that you never realized you had. With the audio in you can use it as a mind bending effect for anything that needs some extra ‘oomph’. Turn up the noise oscillator and you take your effected audio into sand blaster or hurricane range depending on the speed of your LFO.

these words make everything sound wonderful. but where is it possible to hear comparisons, for example, to the classic SMR4MkII?

On tubeohms website.

Honestly: buy and build them all :wink:

>where is it possible to hear comparisons

It is better to hear synths in person. That way there is no chance of EQ trickery or other such meddling to improve production. Not to mention that your mixer and digital audio converter will impact the final result more than you can imagine.

Since most if not all of the Shruthi filters are based on filters in other synthesizers, you can even listen to those synthesizers to understand the general character you will get from your Shruthi. I know that is not quite what you want to hear, but the filters sound better in person than they do in demos anyway. :slight_smile:

I will suggest looking more into the 4PM though. Since the Shruthi has so many oscillators, it only makes sense to have a filter with many options to shape the oscillators as well. 4 pole lowpass filters can only be entertaining for so long. No matter how awesome they sound.

Owned the following, ranked

1. Ladder
2. CEM
3 Polivox

Very happy with Andre’s work. Ladder produces credible tones right out of the box in most roles. SMR is superb as well but perhaps not as compelling for me. CEM has a lot to offer but requires significant hours of exploring to get superior usable tones. CEM in Simpler as a poly synth is great perhaps due to thinner sound from this filter. I continue to explore and learn more :slight_smile:

[Shameless commercial] I still have a 4pm pair and a polivoks pair if you’re willing to try them.[/Shameless commercial]

I’m very happy with the 4pm myself, very clean and so many filtering possibilities ! Combined with all the oscillators and modulation possibilities of the shruthi, they’re a life of synthesis here :slight_smile: