TSFKAA Pro

This is what the Osterhase has brought me this year:

Well, it’s actually the result of a long journey… The Synth Formerly Known As Ambika (TSFKAA).

2 Likes

A long journey maybe, but definetely a rad build…well done, i’ll give you that !

Nice!

well done!

Wow please share more pictures ! :slight_smile:

Wow… Marquardt buttons - I love it!

Wow, great job. Would you mind to share some details?

WOW! Finally somebody build it!

More pictures will come soon. TSFKAA Pro is housed in a recycled Roland professional keyboard case, which makes it a very sturdy beast :-).

Great job! More details please!

Here’s an overview shot and a detail of the UI screen currently in debug mode, i.e. showing some internal info related to the knobs.

The additional UI is basically a MIDIbox NG that scans the keyboard, scans the pots, sliders and buttons, and outputs information on the small OLED and via the LEDs depending on the UI state.

The encoder next to the small display allows to change / scroll through the preset sounds, independent of the current menu page. Because the patch name is not part of the patch data, the Ambika part switches to the patch name display page everytime a patch change command is received.

It’s nice, but I can’t help but think that the display would be better on the left. Like on the Sledge.

I couldn’t disagree more, as I am a right-handed person and it is crucial to be able to change the sound while playing with my right hand - otherwise I wouldn’t need the UI and could delve into Ambika’s menus…

How did you make the front panel and mount the controls?

Great work! I’ve been toying with this also. Starting out I was going to put voice cards in the dead space in my novation sl mk2 but that would’ve required making my own narrower motherboard.

This looks the better option. For patch details on the seperate OLED are you using the spare SPI port? And do the LED indicators update with patch change in a similar method?

@cnicht: The front panel is one large PCB. The controls are mounted on a separate PCB underneath. The black screws visible on the front panel connect the upper (front panel) and lower PCBs, making this one very rigid sandwich-type panel.

@jimi23: I am using a narrower motherboard, i.e. the control board with the large LCD is separated from the audio board that holds the voice cards. Also, there is a dedicated power board with the 5V reg mechanically mounted to the metal housing, which is acting as a large heat sink. The only original Ambika design PCBs are actually the voice cards.

For patch details on the small OLED I am using MIDIbox NG, i.e. a separate microcontroller. As of today, the controller is one way only, so whenever I switch to another patch, the UI doesn’t know about the new patch data, and the status LEDs are not updated. But this will change soon, as MIDIbox NG provides a means for receiving SysEx data and analyzing it. This will then update the status LEDs etc., and even a soft takeover functionality for the UI pots is possible.

Wow excellent work. This looks fantastic!

Here’s an inside shot for those interested:

so how do i mod mine to look like this :smiley: