Tides!

4ms… as in the duration of the pulse they require to react?

> I won’t do the same thing for the HIGH output.

absolutely agree.
i never thought of ‘high’ as a trigger output.
to me, ‘high’ is tides’s pwm output, and the pulse width should be able to go from ‘always off’ to ‘always on’.

> 4ms… as in the duration of the pulse they require to react?

lol. i hope not. will report back later. :slight_smile:

> Please test this very carefully.

just one short preliminary test: the ‘high’ output now works great with all the modules mentioned above! so, yay! and thanks ever so much!
will do further tests later tonite.
anything in particular you would like me to look out for while testing?

re the led thing:

oh. i must confess that i had completely missed that there are three different range settings in pll mode, too.

why is that?
isn’t the frequency set by the external clock in pll mode?
what does a ‘frequency range’ setting do in this context?
i can’t seem to see any effect of the range setting in pll mode. i suppose that’s why i wasn’t even aware that there is one.

[edit:] ah, it must be about the ‘Time domain vs frequency domain’ response curve thing, right? must explore this further…

> what does a ‘ frequency range’ setting do in this context?

It decides whether it uses a PLL or a pattern predictor.

• LOW : pattern predictor, 12kHz sample rate (and thus more accurate for very very low times).
  • MEDIUM : pattern predictor, 48kHz sample rate.
  • HIGH : PLL, 48kHz.

Got my TIDES 2 days ago and what a great module ,first job providing a slow modulation to Timbre on BRAIDS in ZKPF mode through RIPPLES to deliver a warm harmonically rich bass line which will be soon heard on http://www.neinrecords.co.uk

Hello all.
first time posting here.
Would love to find a tutorial on TIDES.
any help would be appreciated !
Thanks

Tutorial as in “i don’t know what to do with it and bought it because its so pretty, so please teach me what it does?” - like me - or more a Manual?

More a manual please…

Wow, on your request, Mutable Instruments just wrote a manual for Tides! What an amazing company, super responsive and all. Click on this sentence to access it.
:wink:

Tides Modulating Braids for Bass

So every 90˚ is a different parabolic curve?

Also, I was wondering how you came up with the unsmooth waveform. It looks like an old-school wave folder but not any one in particular :rofl:

Not sure what you mean here.

Yes, just something smooth I found pleasing to the ears :slight_smile:

Did you break the waveform up into different segments and shape them separately before recombining them?

I’m just doing an exercise where I try and reverse engineer how the wave shaping worked. It helps me understand the thought process and expand my horizons in patching. I was quite surprised by the slope function, for example, as it did not seem to match it’s panel diagram.

This is a strangely liberating reply. :upside_down_face:

Actually the latest version of the firmware no longer use the band-limited parabola + difference method; it’s directly synthesizing a band-limited variable slope triangle.

This variable slope triangle goes through a waveshaper, and the result goes through the wavefolder.

In which way?

Maybe you monitored the BI output?

Yes indeed, It does seem like the unipolar output is exactly like the diagram. I find it interesting to see how you have aligned the phase as well. It’s now much clearer to me that the “duty cycle” of the triangle wave is being swept by the slope knob.

When you say band limited in this context, are you referring to a band pass filter?

Right now I have made a version which is incorrect, but I am enjoying the sound of. What to do…

Jun-04-2018%2006-16-12

I have to say, I am coming to tides through VCV rack, which I installed because plaits came out for it. At first I thought tides would be simple to replicate as the ideas were simple to identify and recreate piecemeal. But integrating it all together as Tides is proving altogether more challenging!

No, I am referring to the fact that the waveform has only faint harmonics above Nyquist.