Tides!

mic.w: it’s a smutty reference.

@pichenettes: anyway, don’t get bitter about that ridiculous naming farce. not worth it.

I think a pair of very politically incorrect jokes might be in order. Feel free to substitute “NZ” for whichever group of people you feel like disparaging at the moment.

Two NZ sheep farmers are flying the mob to a new farm. Suddenly, the engine fails and the plane begins to fall quickly to the ground.
SH1: "Quick! Grab a parachute and jump![]("
SH2: "What about the sheep ?)?"
SH1: "Bugger the sheep "
SH2: (pause) “Do you think we have time?”

An Australian ventriloquist visiting New Zealand, walks into a small village and sees a local sitting on his porch patting his dog. He figures he’ll have a little fun.
Ventriloquist: "G’day Mate! Good looking dog, mind if I speak to him?"
Villager: "The dog doesn’t talk, you stupid Aussie."
Ventriloquist: "Hello dog, how’s it going mate?"
Dog: "Doin’ all right"
Villager: (look of extreme shock)
Ventriloquist: “Is this villager your owner?” (pointing at the villager)
Dog: "Yep"
Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"
Dog: "Real good. He walks me twice a day, feeds me great food and takes me to the lake once a week to play."
Villager: (look of utter disbelief)
Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your horse?"
Villager: "Uh, the horse doesn’t talk either…I think."
Ventriloquist: "Hey horse, how’s it going?"
Horse: "Cool"
Villager: (absolutely dumbfounded)
Ventriloquist: “Is this your owner?” (pointing at the villager)
Horse: "Yep"
Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"
Horse: "Pretty good, thanks for asking. He rides me regularly, brushes me down often and keeps me in the barn to protect me from the elements."
Villager: (total look of amazement)
Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your sheep?"
Villager: “The sheep’s a liar”

>Braids / Shruthi waves

Definitely giving the people what they want. That one bit output sounds killer.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread.
Just call the one bit output bleet. :wink:

by just switching the consonants of Tides you get : Sited

pichenettes> it’s a smutty reference

I don’t get it either. And I’ve been to New Zealand, several times. I’m probably trying to overthink it.

BennelongBicyclist, that’s the most disappointing thing I’ve read today.

I was pretty sure that you would be the first one to get it.

Of course, my favourite Greenaway film! How could I be so dense? I must punish myself with some auto-surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aycvDjhTB1c

ah, so it’s a peter greenaway reference?
never saw that one, i must confess.

but what’s smutty about that?

@mic.w: “Sheep and Tides” is an absurd “game” played in the film. I will let you discover the rest of the references by watching it. Quite a nice bit of dark humor to combat the winter winds.

i remember i was very impressed with prospero’s books when it played in theaters.
i also dimly recall quite liking a z and two 0s and rather disliking the cook…
and i absolutely love draughtman’s contract - watch it once every year.
but this one is new to me. so, thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

i just stumbled upon a problem with tides’s ‘low’ output: it doesn’t seem to work with some other modules.

it works just fine to clock/trigger these: doepfer a148, a151, a162, a171-2, fonitronik seq switch, turing machine, pressure points + brains, ryo vc sequencer.

but it does not work with these: doepfer a156 (trigger input), fcuk system x adsr, 4ms scm, 4ms rcd.

sending the ‘low’ pulse signal through an active buffer doesn’t change anything. i have to run it through a doepfer a162 in order to use it with those modules.

i suscpect that the ‘low’ pulse is just too short for some modules. any other explanations? what are the odds for a fix?

> any other explanations?

Have you tried amplifying it?

> what are the odds for a fix?

1 against infinity.

> Have you tried amplifying it?

yes i did. sorry, should have mentioned it.
no, amplication doesn’t help.

> 1 against infinity.

those are pretty good odds, aren’t they? :slight_smile:

while you’re at it, i also have a minor feature suggestion:
i think it would be useful if in clocked/pll mode, the ‘range’ led would blink in sync with the clock.
doable? worth the effort?

> those are pretty good odds, aren’t they? :slight_smile:

No, these are bad odds.

It’s kind of bothering me to have to “fix” my code because some other guys got sloppy with their trigger detection.

Note that the “problem” occurs only in looped mode. Isn’t it strange anyway to try to use this output in looped mode? Actually one should argue that this output should always be low in looped mode. Here, it goes high for exactly one sample to say: “we have finished looping but we immediately start again”.

And if I set a minimum pulse width (say 1ms), the EOR output will be useless once Tides goes beyond 1kHz.

> the ‘range’ led would blink in sync with the clock.

What if you make the clock go at audio rates? How would you then be able to know that the module is in PLL mode?

Please test this very carefully.

The change is ridiculously sensitive, so there are very strong arguments not to push this into production.

I won’t go longer than 1ms.

I won’t do the same thing for the HIGH output. It’ll stay HIGH after the attack phase just as it should. If the hold/release phase is too short to trigger your favorite module, it’s your problem.

> No, these are bad odds.

oh. seems like i suck at maths. (or rather, at mathematical expressions in english).
:frowning:

> Isn’t it strange anyway to try to use this output in looped mode?
> Actually one should argue that this output should always be low in looped mode.

strictly logically, i suppose that’s true.
messily pragmatically, i think it would be extremely useful if you could clock at least the 4ms clockers to a looped tides. (there is a difference in the extend to which it ‘doesn’t work’ with those modules: from a156 and fcuk adsr, there was no reaction at all, whereas it was working intermittently with the two 4ms clocker modules, just not reliably)

all four four of those modules do work just fine with a looped a171-2’s ‘end’ output even at that vcs’s highest frequencies, btw. so maybe it’s not just pulse length?

>> the ‘range’ led would blink in sync with the clock.
>
>What if you make the clock go at audio rates? How would you then be able to know that the module is in PLL mode?

because it’s yellow in pll mode only, wheras it’s either red, green, or off otherwise.

oops, missed your newer post while typing mine.
will test and report back some time tonite or tomorrow…

The a171-2 probably has a pulse shaper on the ‘end’ output.

> because it’s yellow in pll mode only

It’s not always yellow…

Low : Green ; PLL Low : blinking Green.
Mid : Off ; PLL Mid : blinking Yellow.
High : Red ; PLL High : blinking Red.

You wouldn’t distinguish between Low and “PLL Low clocked fast” ; and much more likely High and “PLL High clocked fast”.