Tides V2 tuning

Emilie,
First of all - thanks for all of your incredible work, I built two Shruthis (yellow and 4PM) back in 2013, and this year, I finally got into Euro and bought a used Clouds, and brand new Marbles, Ripples, Tides V2, Stages and Plaits.
Tides is a unique module. Strangely enough, I end up using Quadrax, Pamela’s New Workout, Zadar and Stages for the modulator duties - I am finding that I use Tides as my wavetable oscillator, shifting the outputs to create a stereo image, and it sits next to my VCOs and DCOs.
The issue I was having was that it was difficult to tune - such a wide range for that coarse knob, but I’ve just realized you have sort of built in a solution for this…
By taking an output from one of my other VCOs into the clock input on Tides, it will sync to that, and produce a pitch that is 1/16 to 16x - effectively , and then the knob becomes a quantized adjustment from that - which opens up whole new possibilities of sequencing variations of the offset using the FREQ CV input and attenuverter. Brilliant, Emilie!
Tides is basically a backpack for any oscillator.
Here is what I’m playing around with right now:
I have a ripping, pulsating complex tone on my Instruo Cs-L, built from rectifying and FM of the two wavefolded VCOs. As with many Buchla-like complex oscillator patches, you lose a bit of the low end. The sine output of the top (modulator) VCO is patched into the clock on Tides, shifted to 2 octaves below the Cs-L, and has outputs 1 and 4 panned hard left and right in the mix, with some slow modulation on the SHIFT CV input (1:00 to 4:00 roughly), which gives it this big, wide, low-end rumble that compliments the Cs-L’s buzzing voice.

I still wish it had a fine tune knob, but using the clock/PLL makes Tides have a great role supporting all the other oscillators.

Cheers Emilie!

Jeff from Toronto, Canada

1 Like

Hows Zadar BTW. Any quirks or issues?

Zadar is actually pretty awesome. for 10HP it is a lot of value is a small space. The envelopes are snappy and clean. With the warp, response, sustain and level controls - you can really adjust the waveforms to your liking. And with the adjustable sustain point you can really make ASR and ADSR envelopes to your liking. IF you turn sustain off, and make an envelope loop - you’ve got a unipolar LFO with 10Vpp of swing, and over 200 shapes.
I find the workflow is quite fast and easy once you get the muscle memory for the 4 knobs. Screen is really good - when you put CV into it, it actually tracks your input in real time.
My only complaints - I wish more of the waveforms had start and stop points that matched - ie. starts at 0V and ends a 0V - most of the waveforms have a definite bump or jump if you use it as a looping envelope or LFO as the end is reached say at .5V, and it starts over at 0V. But there are some waveforms that can be used - particularly B0 - which is a standard triangle wave… There is no Sine wave! argh.
If I had one feature I wish it had was to allow you to input clock into a gate input, and change the time control and readout to be in divisions/mutiplications of the clock (like marbles, stages and Quadrax have). As it is now you can input a clock, but you have to work out how many milliseconds each 1/4 note, or 1/16th, or whole note is.

There is some overlap with Stages in my rack. To get a usable ADSR once you’re patched:
Stages: 2 button clicks to set Sustain (red), and tweak 4 sliders and 4 knobs to shape it. I find dialing in the right timing is difficult.
Zadar: Pick your waveform, set the time. Tweak the warp and response.

Definitely pros and cons to each - Zadar does better and more complex waveshapes. Stages is a multitool and do a lot more unique things.
Along with Quadrax (more of a Buchla 281e Quad function generator type of thing!) - they are permanently in my rack.

Sweet. I read up on it after checking the Erica wavetable but in the end have been messing around with Tidesv2 (in VCV) …its so elegant imo. It has a clock in also which is pretty sick.
Thanks for the review - great info.