Tides v1 low acting as pulse / gate only

Picked up a tides v1 second hand a few months ago as part of my first eurorack rig. I always felt like the low output wasn’t working properly. I recently got a dc coupled interface so I could use a scope in my daw and it seems that regardless of the settings, the low output is always just a quick pulse/gate and doesn’t stay open until the envelope is retriggered like it says in the manual.

I believe it had an alternate firmware on it when i got it, and I installed the mutable firmware a few days later.

Am I misunderstanding how it is supposed to work, or is it not working properly? The other outputs all function as I’d expect them to.

Since you have a DC-coupled interface can you record on 3 different tracks:

1. the signal sent to the TRIG input
  2. HIGH
  3. LOW

With the module set in AD mode, lowest frequency range, all knobs at 12 o’clock.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help :slightly_smiling_face:

I have the 3 audio files here (sorry for the gdrive link, I can’t upload attachments yet) TidesTroubleshooting110822.zip - Google Drive

I realized while capturing these though, that I may have been misunderstanding how the high and low outputs work. I usually have the tides functioning as an LFO in cyclic mode either free-running or with a clock input, and I was imagining the high/low outputs would be outputting a portion of the LFO waveform, but are they actually designed to just be gates for the two phases?

The manual is fairly clear that these are on/off signals!

10. High-tide output. This output goes high (+5V approx.) at the end of the attack phase, and stays at this level until the cycle restarts or the envelope is retriggered.

11. Low-tide output. This output goes high (+5V approx.) at the end of the decay/release phase, and stays at this level until the envelope is retriggered. Both High-tide and Low-tide outputs can be used to chain envelopes.

In cyclic mode, the interval between the end of the decay/release phase, and the moment the cycle is retriggered is very short, so this output is effectively a narrow pulse (which can be used to lock another LFO to Tides1.)

Incidentally these simple gates allow you to easily patch what you described: patch Tides’ BI or UNI output to a 1:2 switch, and use the HIGH output as a control signal.

The same thing could be achieved with two VCAs and an inverter.

If you have a sequential switch (or Stages!) use the LOW output as a reset, and the HIGH output as a clock.

1 Like

oh that’s interesting! I’ll have to try that.

I’m glad the issue was just an error in my perception of the module. thanks for clarifying!