Tides 2018 vs original

I have 2x Tides v2 and was wondering, beside the option to install alternative firmwares, is there any benefit / unique functionality with the v1 that cannot be done on v2?
I used to own a Tides v1, but it was long time ago :slight_smile:

One unique feature of Tides v1 is that it’s more lo-fi!

5 Likes

How much more lofi?

How does one even quantify this?

But to give you an idea the CVs on Tides mk1 are not read at a constant rate and are not filtered; the HIGH/LOW outputs are digital, so they don’t produce nice square waves at audio rate; and the external clock tracking algorithm is more primitive, so its output will be quite jittery when locking onto an audio rate signal.

1 Like

No idea how to quantify that, but thanks!

Thx for the explanation.

I assume we are only talking about audio output or audio rate modulation here .
For envelope generation (ie not in the audio range) is there differences between the good old tides and the new version ?

When used in PLL/clock mode, the new version is better at tracking and anticipating changes in the incoming clock signal.

Thanks for the clarification :wink:

You could compare them in VCV Rack. IMHO the real ones sound slightly different though.

To me V1 is much rawer. Gives filters more “noise” / “jitter” to chew on.

V2 is cleaner or in other words more “polite” I guess.

For LFOs or envelopes I would prefer V2.
For audio both are very nice, but have a slightly different character.

Also V2 doesn’t have the easily accessible Freeze Feature.

1 Like

I’m not sure how VCV Rack emulates CV acquisition (in particular the fact that the original Tides, unlike more recent modules, does not sample CVs at a constant rate of a few kHz - instead, they are constantly sampled at a higher rate, and whatever is the latest sampled value is used when a block has to be rendered, a task that, itself, is not scheduled on a perfectly regular time base).

I only know their Stages and Rings implementation. If I remember correctly, there the UI layer, such as potentiometers, attenuators and buttons, has been rewritten. They also changed the run loop. They simply called the DSP for each sample in their own run loop and connected their custom UI there. This would affect the CV In sampling rates too. Therefore I would assume they did the same for Tides V1 and V2.

The rewriting and disconnecting of the UI and run loop is actually the reason why the Easter Eggs weren’t accessible :wink: