Tides, 2018 revision

Order placed and it has arrived today! Will enjoy exploring new “shifted outputs” this evening! Beautiful update Olivier, thank you.

Mine is going to be delivered tomorrow :slight_smile:

Time to move some modules about!

Oh that is good to hear. For some reason, the white knob modules appeal to me the most.

Hey, thanks!

Here’s the new patch and performance walkthrough of that piece. At points I demo some of Tides’ new super-powers.

That’s an awesome vid!

Well I think Tides is one of those modules where you can lose hours just tinkering - this is nothing spectacular but Ive been enjoying creating deep droning sounds using the “different frequencies” setting, such a fab new addition to the latest iteration

It is because of you, dear Brian Lightbath Fourhexagons, that I will, later today, be the proud owner of not one, but two Tides v2.

:star2::star2:
:raised_hands::raised_hands:
:control_knobs::control_knobs:
:ocean::ocean:

Sounds good!

Good to see a video with Triple Sloths in use. Mine isn’t in my rack at the moment, sadly, as I’ve run out of space, but it’s a great module.

loving the new Tides- an extremely clever development of the original which was probably my favorite MI module. With the new outputs, I can’t help but wonder- how difficult would it be for someone to make an alternate firmware for using Tides as a real straightforward 4-voice poly synth, with the v/oct input allocating voices ala Rings. :heart_eyes:

See earlier in this thread where I mention exactly that. Well, not exactly that, because I think there are enough CV inputs that are read with sufficient accuracy to permit four V/oct pitch CV inputs to be used to control 4 voices independently, albeit with shared timbral control. But a “strummable” mode a la Rings (or Braids/Plaits in Karplus-Strong modes) should also be possible. The main limitation is the amount of MPU horsepower available - the STM32F373 chip has a fantastic 16-bit on-board ADC, but it isn’t that fast, processing wise. But there should be enough computational power for four wavetable voices at least, and maybe four Karplus-Strong plucky voices. Of course, we’ll have to wait for the source code to be released, but the more Tides v2 that are bought, the faster that will happen. Mine is due to be delivered in the next few days…

Really digging the new tides, especially the different output modes really do take it to the next level

Mine has arrived, thanks to the very efficient Tin Shed Modular here in Oz. It’s been a while since I’ve bought an MI module. Can I just say how nice the MI packaging and presentation is, these days. I’ll have to wait a bit before I can try it out, alas, but I have a new desk toy for work that will amuse me in the meantime.

The new card sleeves are a bit easier to remove from the box than the previous generation of shinier sleeves, which is a definite improvement.

Actually, it’s because I’m still using the stock printed in 2016 for the original Tides :confused:

Ah, I wondered why the sleeve looked exactly the same as the old one…
That explains it.

As my compatriot Dave from EEVblog says: “Don’t turn it on, take it apart!”.

So herewith some photos of Tides 2018 with the panel removed. Note the use of very small passives (0402 size, or are they 0201? I don’t have any 0402 sized parts on hand to compare), quite densely packed in on the board. That will make DIY assembly a real challenge, which frankly I think is a good thing. Those who clone Mutable modules as a business will at least be forced to lay out the PCB again. Good!

Close-up of the top half - note the STM23F373 CPU, the quad DAC, and the holes for two different sets of headers: one with two pins leading directly to the CPU (well, via current limiting resistors), and the other with four pins (need to trace the routing for those). The latter is almost certainly the JTAG/SWD programming header, but the two pin header? Need to check which pins they are on the CPU…

Lower part of the board:

Components between the sockets:

Rear of the board:

Interestingly, the rear of the panel is milled to provide relief for the DC-DC voltage converter (another little challenge for the cloners!):

h

Streams mechanical construction economics

Wonder if the two pin could be I2C for use with the the Teletype or Orthogonal Devices style infrastructure? Would require some soldering though, so propably not.

The two-pin header connects to pins 45 and 46 on the CPU, which are PB8 and PB9. These are GPIO pins, but of the alternate functions listed for them in the data sheet, I2C is by far the most likely (unless Olivier has adopted the CANbus standard, as used in motor vehicles, for intermodule communication).

So yeah, I2C. Whether there is support for intermodule communications via I2C built into the factory firmware remains to be seen — making use of it would require a two pin header to be soldered onto the board (very easy, just remove the front panel). There are precedents for that — Grids comes with holes for two expansion headers for random triggers out and MIDI in, but requires the end user to solder the headers themselves.

Even if there’s not support for I2C comms in the factory firmware, it could be added once the source code is released, and thus integration with the Monôme line of modules and others that use the same I2C standard (Whimsical Raps Mannequins line of modules? Others?) would seem possible. Or just inter-MI module comms. Or communications with other controller modules yet-to-be-designed…

So how are Stages modules interconnected? Via I2C?