Tides, 2018 revision

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/tides

Removed the stuff I didn’t like.

Upgraded the hardware (:heart: STM32F373, quad I2S DAC, DC-DC converter).

Rewrote the code (:heart: floats).

Added a couple of fun poly things :slight_smile:

No button combo to enable the PLL mode!

At audio frequencies, this creates just intonation chords.

yesssssssss

Edit: although, if it’s pure integer multiplication then isn’t that pythagorean intonation chords? Or are you really using some form of just intonation?

Looks like a nice redesign, congratulations!

I use “just intonation” in the loose sense, ie the frequency ratios are fractions with relatively small numerators/denumerators.

new design looks very nice and infos sounds great =)

@erstlaub @pichenettes can we expect some video tutorials? :thinking::hushed:

Oh dear! Amazing!

It’s been a while since I looked at tides. What’s missing, freeze?

Also, is this exactly the same template as rings?
edit: I see there is an extra button in the middle and an additional set of jacks in the bottom row when compared to rings. Still, since I think of rings as being more or less the ideal proportions for a module, I approve.

Nice <3

Out of curiosity: will you remove all colored knobs in future modules or will you keep them in some cases to differentiate e.g. between different outputs (e.g. Steams, Branches, Shades…)

Great evolution, i love the quad out !

About th knobs : Olivier said that all the new module would use white knobs as it is difficult to find a logical implementation in all the different function .

Is there any sort of tides trade-in program?

Minor typo in the manual:

• This allows, for example, the generate of (sub)harmonics from another VCO.

Should be “generation”.

How much flash on the STM32F373?

I like the -3 to 7V pitch CV input range @16bits, matches O&C pitch CV outputs (-3.5 yo 6.5V @16bits) perfectly.

Presumably all the CV inputs are read with 16-bits of precision by the onboard ADCs?

Seems like it could be alt-firmwared (that’s now a verb) to have a true quad VCO mode while retaining two shared CV inputs for timbre…

there it is :heart_eyes:

I’ll fix the typo tomorrow, thanks for reporting.

About 96k of the 224k of program flash are used.

Yes, the CV inputs are read by the (rather good!) 16-bit ADCs of the F373.

Yes FREEZE has disappeared, if you really need it, you can send a large negative voltage in the FM input to get an (almost) similar result. Yes, dividing the frequency of an oscillator by 256 is not the same as stopping it, but the result is going to be fairly similar.

Oh sweet baby jesus my prayers have been answered

OK, fab! Sounds like there will be plenty of room to add the Sheep wavetables as well (or more). And even if the other CV inputs have half the resolution of the pitch CV input, it’s still enough for 12-TET chords, and quantisation could be added for really precise just intonation and microtonal chords.

Presumably the pots are read on separate ADC channels from the CV inputs as is the now usual MI design pattern?

Yes, everything is on its own ADC channel, the maths is done in software.

what’s the meaning of the increasing moon?

I’m increasingly moony?

The new moon marks the beginning of a new month in the Islamic religious calendar, thus the waxing crescent, first quarter and waxing gibbous moons mean it is the first half of the synodic month.

I hope this helps.