Thoughts on ppg wave generator and iPads as synths

Anyone used the new ppg wave generator synths on the ipad? Curious if the touch screen interface is actually beneficial for synth programming , also wondering if it sounds any good

I’m a sucker for music apps, but I never use them outside of sitting around on the couch messing around.

However, I’m waiting the iConnectMIDI 4 to try to integrate some of them- the PPG app being one.

It’s DEEP- if not a little unwieldy with small buttons you miss tapping on constantly.

But I’d download Waldorf’s Nave app first. It’s a $200 VST in the form of a $15 (or whatever it is) iPad app. You want wavetables, that’s where it’s at.

There are many, many other good ones. But the only one I’d 100% be sure anyone, even the hardest of hardcore hardware people, would be impressed.

Waldorf’s Nave is a really great app. It’s on christmas sale right now. It drops from $19.99 to $11.99.
It’s programmed by Rolf Wöhrmann (Tempo Rubato), who also made NLog Pro and Arturia iSEM.

I use my iPad mainly for synth/audio-apps. In fact, Animoog was the reason I actually bought one. I still use the old iPad 1, thats why I can’t use some of the recent apps (Nave = iOS6 and up only and Apfelfirma won’t let you install this on the original Hardware).

I don’t know if I feel like the iPad is “beneficial for synth programming”. If it comes to “traditional” synths, the touchscreen can be really annoying – depending on the way the touch = knob movement-thing was implemented. But… the touchy screen can be really great when it comes to modifying/alter/playing with the sounds. It can be much more than just an X/Y-Pad that you find in most iPad synths. “Samplr” for example is one of my favorite apps: it lets you (multi-)touch, stretch, reverse, zoom in and out, and and and directly into any kind of waveform (sample) you load into it. Loads of fun, and just another way to quickly and intuitive play with samples/sounds than with most of the MIDI-contollers I know of. Really. Hard to explain, just look up some videos on YT or else. Highly recommended app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeIxCeJPEkw

… and it even has that nice “OP-1”-typeface look to it :wink:

I bought an iPad 2 years ago especially for using it for music… I tested a lot of the apps and there are some really great ones but I didn’t end up using any for my music. Somehow it doesn’t really feel like a serious tool. It ended up being used mainly for browsing on the coach.
Though I can still imagine a 21" version running cubase or ableton live as my main production tool.

Same. Got an iPad4 only for love of music.

shiftr:

I dream about the same thing, Shiftr. And we can’t be the only ones. Rather than move all over the room with a laptop or be stuck at a desk, being able to move a small thin tablet around with a Thunderbolt port for a small 2 channel audio interface. They should make one like the Mopi Juice Packs for the iPhone- a slim interface with a rechargeable battery (that is smaller than that Behringer/Alesis I/O dock).

The new Alesis I/O Hub is pretty nice for the money and BUS powered. I might get one just to have a portable audio inteface when I go through the phases when I need to just sit on the couch with 1 thing and get away from all the gear haha. I think Roland just came out with a small one that has BUS power and has iOS as a top priority.

If these items sell well for all these companies then Apple will certainly have to think about either improving the existing iPad as a production tool or making a larger tablet with more than 1 data port…(knowing apple it would have no more than 2…).

I’ve thought about using an iPad as a looper with Loopy HD and/or Samplr, but I have a hard time with the hardware connection issue. Seriously, why is it so dang hard/clunky to simultaneously get MIDI in, audio out, and charge the thing? Loopy is awesome, I’ve used it a bit playing around but controlling it gracefully without a bunch of kludging seems impossible.

Samplr at least is something really interesting as a standalone app which doesn’t necessarily need anything else to be really useful, and it would do largely what I like having my MicroSampler around for, but with a seemingly more fun interface. Animoog seems to have a similar appeal to me, though I haven’t spent time with either.

I would personally probably get a mini just for the sake of taking more advantage of the portability aspect.

Though, I’ll also admit that the little time I’ve spent with iPhones make me wish that there was better Android audio/MIDI support…Mac is cool but iOS doesn’t click with me.