These Hopeful Machines

Apologies if this has been mentioned here before, but there is a fabulous series on the history of electronic music by James Gardner at Radio New Zealand. I’ve only listened to 3 of the 8 one-hour episodes so far, but I have found it erudite, comprehensive and utterly fascinating. Highly recommended!

These Hopeful Machines

No I don’t think it has been mentioned here yet… so thanks a lot for posting this!

Interesting, haven’t heard of this before. Thanks a lot for the link!

thanks for the link

The website for ‘These Hopeful Machines’ has now been greatly expanded to include links, interview transcripts and outtakes - see:

<http://www.radionz.co.nz/concert/programmes/hopefulmachines>

Wow, there’s so much material there now. I am told that James Gardner is currently working on another electronic music documentary, and that he has been sighted in Oz, interviewing various local synth luminaries.

anyone know how to rip the audio? would like to put on my ipod so i can listen while camping!

I did try, but unfortunately no luck…

Try this:
part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6

Janniz your da man! think I’ll download them too!

I just listened(1) to two of the interviews in the These Hopeful Machines series - the one with Peter Vogel, of Fairlight fame, is very interesting. Worth reading, or listening to: http://www.radionz.co.nz/concert/programmes/hopefulmachines/library

(1) although there are only transcripts of the interviews online, if you have a Mac, then just enable text-to-speech in the System Prefs, and highlight the entire text of the interview, and press Option-Esc. Then proceed with your housework, soldering etc while the interview is read out to you. Works nicely, perfectly intelligible, reasonably natural intonation. Make sure you download the enhanced voices though, in your favourite accent. A Scottish lass read out the interview to me, although I quite like the voice of Kate the Aussie reader.

Sounds great ! Thanks for the heads up !
(Slightly off topic) BennelongBicyclist, are you from NZ ? It’s been a while since the last time I heard about Radio NZ… Good radio indeed :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m from the West Island of NZ.

Hence your thing for Kate :slight_smile:
Anyway, thanks again, always good to have audio documentaries in the phone !