The Sequencer

I’m not understanding the sequencer. I’ve read the manual section, I’ve sequenced using hexadecimal values before, but I’m not grasping what is happening with the sequencer.

“he values are displayed in hexadecimal (a=10, b=11, c=12, d=13, e=14, f=15). The fourth knob is used to adjust the cycle length. Note that the cycle length setting is also applied to the arpeggiator. When the cycle length is shorter, the other steps are left blank”

in “a=10” is a the note a?

what would the sequencer display look like if I wanted it to play say a C major scale up then back down: c d e f g a b c c b a g f e d c

• The step sequencers found on modulars are very different beasts than, say, a TB303 sequencer. The step sequencer in the Shruti-1 are closer to the former
  • The values are hexadecimal. If it were notes it would go up to “g” and the values before A wouldn’t make sense
  • The sequencer won’t do anything meaningful unless you patch it to a parameter in the modulations page. Patch it to pwm1 and you have a way of sequencing phonemes (using the vowel oscillator) or waveforms (using the sweep oscillator). Patch it to VCA and you have a programmable gater. Patch it to osc1 and osc2 (on two different modulation slots) and you have something to sequence notes (what you want). You can tune differently osc1 and osc2, or choose to have only one osc track the sequencer.
  • To get back to your example: the values for a major scale would be: 024579bccb975420 which are 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12 12 11 9 7 5 4 2 0 (semi tones differences). But to make it work, you have to patch the sequencer output to the oscillators with the right modulation amount. I think the right value would be 24 or 32 - with something different you’ll get interesting scales. Still, this wouldn’t behave like a TB303 sequencer - you have to play a note to trigger the sequence (if you play a C3, you’ll get a C major scale, if you play a D a D major…), and the envelope won’t retrigger at each note.

It is not really meant to program melodies (though it’s an abuse worth exploring :D), more rhythmic modulations/effects, etc…

Step sequence:
024579acca95742c
seq -> osc2, amount = 32 (osc1 stays at the same note)

99 bpm, groove h15

Playing: D3 F3 A2

osc1: saw
osc2: saw -24

The LFOs are ramps, x1 with a negative amount for LFO2 (the pseudo triggered envelope thing at the end), x16 with a positive amount for LFO1 (the sweeping for each bar)

I recorded that on the Shruthi so the filter sounds different (and it had the resonance compensation section unplugged), but you get the idea…

I hope you’re not disappointed expecting the full “program melodies and basslines” thing, but given the samples I heard from your music, there’s hope that you’ll find good uses of it outside the scope of acid lines :smiley:

ah…ok. If functions just like the tracking generator that I use in my micron for all kinds of modulations including filter cutoff sequences and OSC pitch offsets for simple riffs. So yeah, makes perfect sense, I just didn’t get that that is how it functions from reading the manual. Thanks for clearing this up about the shruti sequencer. Oh and disappointed…not even. Just the opposite, this synth is great.

Phoneme sequences…yum. Can’t wait to get into that. One of my favorite shruti demos is “this is not a circuit bent barbie” which sounds like it has some vowel osc sequencing.

What do you think about being able to import sequence cycle length to the performance page?

first sequence it starts out as a 1 step sequence then the full 16 then back to 1 step (messing with the sequence cycle length; knob 4)

Plan Buddha

in the sequencer page knob 1 does not control anything. It would be awesome if it functioned like knob 4, but instead of moving the end point of the cycle length toward the beginning it would move the beginning of the cycle length toward the end. Then all kinds of sub sequences could be teased out of the 16 steps. That and performance page assignment would make this sequencer Kill!