The Owl eurorack module

Yay! Rebel Technology announced that they are going to release the owl as eurorack module. It’s a programable device with many possibilites. I always wanted something like it and the owl seems to be the best solution. There is also snazzy fx ardcore with awesome front panel but weak arduino (no effects possible)…
It will support puredata!

Original kickstarter of pedal

Via muffwiggler

Sounds good! The pd support is ace - though I don’t know if it’s through dynamic code generation, or by running a version of pd compiled on the target hardware.

Now I’ll remove “Eurorack pd patch player” from my TODO list :slight_smile:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
edit: i mean don’t remove it!

Yes, please don’t remove it! I feel bad about posting this. Please don’t remove it. I want the MI take on it. Please! It was one of the modules I was hopping so bad that you would make it.!

+1.

I had a chat with the rebel technology guys at messe.
It seems a friend of them made a PD parser that can generate C code from PD patches and they use a cross compiler to generate a working STM32 binary from the PD patch using they computer software/converter

“PD patches on the OWL! We will show a beta demo of our collaboration with the team behind the Tannhauser Pure Data compiler”

That looks amazing!

a|x

Goes some way towards what I want, a more powerful Ardcore (although I’ve not received my PCB to build an Ardcore yet).

I thought the Owl pedal was a bit expensive, so I can’t imagine this will be much cheaper?

Stereo Braids, anyone? If I have read the specs correctly, it may have enough horsepower to run two instances of the Braids code. Seems to have stereo audio channels. Not clear what the DAC bit depth is - at least 12 bit, but I saw a reference to 24-bit 96kHz sample rate for the Owl pedal (for the ADC). One would need to port the main functions from the Braids code to their OwlSim framework, which looks like it abstracts their hardware. Seems feasible. Also potentially for other MI modules.

I dare say Olivier has already thought of this: a generic MI module with a standard set of AC and DC inputs and associated pots, an abstraction layer, and uploadable code modules, to turn the generic module into a Braids, Tides, Frames etc as required. With a LCD display on each to indicate what code the module is running and how the jacks and knobs are mapped. Oh, and a RaspberryPi-based master module which stores firmware images, and which can upload different code to each generic module in your rack, so if you have, say, six generic MI modules, you can configure them as, say, six Braids, or two Braids, two Peaks, a Tides and a Frames, or whatever combination of ARM Cortex-based modules you require for your next masterpiece.

I mentioned it as an idea. But the fatal flaw with the Ardcore and the Owl is needing a computer. SD card for programs makes more sense. Have USB as well, but for developers.

> Stereo Braids, anyone?

A naive port would allow 2-3 instances of Braids to run on this. A rewrite using floating point might allow 4 instances. I’ve tried it. I’ve switched to the F4 for all upcoming modules that are DSP-based ; and stayed with the F1 for all upcoming modules that are more in the control of analog circuitry / CV generation zone.

On the Owl, the audio input is sampled at 96kHz, but it looks like the CV are scanned by the internal ADC, which is not as good as the external ADC used on Braids (11.5 bits vs 10 bits).

> generic MI module with a standard set of AC and DC inputs

It would be quite boring! I like that each module has a dedicated UI, with a different choice of knob sizes, button types, LED sizes and colors depending on the task at hand… Peaks wouldn’t feel as useful if it took 16 HP. Braids wouldn’t need all the I/O that Tides has. And Frames wouldn’t work without the 8 “analog” ICs that do the VCA magic…

@pichenettes: yes, fair enough - a cloud of polymorphic Eurorack modules is probably a contradiction in terms, unless the physical characteristics of the modules were also polymorphic - and that may be an engineering challenge that even you can’t (yet) conquer!

>a cloud of polymorphic Eurorack modules is probably a contradiction in terms

For analogue sound generation perhaps. But as soon as you start doing anything with digital processing it makes it possible to do all sorts of things.

There’s always a trade-off with the UI, but that doesn’t stop MIDI controllers selling. If you wanted to be clever you could have magnetic overlays :slight_smile:

If money and development costs was not a problem then you could have a little OLED display above each knob to indicate what its purpose is. But it would be very expensive.

You will end up with something that closely resembles this.

True, except in a euro format and OLED :slight_smile:

But as you can see from the OLED keyboards, would be very costly:

http://store.artlebedev.com/electronics/optimus-popularis/

If you have a look at the Behringer X32 which has a small display for every channelstrip you may come to the conclusion that expensiveness has more factors than just the Display :wink:

In qty of thousands, the switches with built-in displays are about 35€ a piece. Not cheap.

I’m really tempted to sell my Nord Modular G1 keyboard and G2 Engine and get one of the above. Now that it’s no longer manufactured though, and the editor software no longer (presumably) being updated, I don’t know if that’s really a good plan, though.

a|x

I would imagine so. You need 8 of them for something like an Owl, so €285 for those alone. Add the rest of the parts, another €100 perhaps. €385. That’s with no development costs and no profit. Not long before your price becomes €600 or more.

Behringer are a high volume box shifter and they tend to stick to the things all musicians need, mixers, outboard. Euro is very niche.