The future for Mutable Instruments support

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I have done all manner of searches and not yet found an answer to my question.

After this last new MI module has been released and Emilie has moved on to whatever interests her next, what happens to support and repair for MI modules? While I’m sure Emilie will continue to support her work for the near future, what happens when Emilie moves on to whatever her next interest or project(s) might be?

I also realize that there may not be an answer to this question yet. That’s certainly okay if there isn’t. I just wondered if support for MI will just end or if another engineer or company might be designated as “official” support for MI.

For me, the question may also be moot as I have never had an MI module fail. That being said, it is entirely possible that I could figure out a way to damage one of my MI modules. It happens.

Regardless of the future of MI support, I know we all wish Emilie contentment and happiness in her life. Thank you, Emilie, for all your work over the years. You have brought so much happiness and inspiration to many, many people.

I do care.

I’m the kind of person who doesn’t sleep when I get a report for a bug or failure I can’t understand. And when I receive a module for repair, it is shipped back the same day. I have never asked anyone to pay for a repair, even for modules sold in 2013.

I certainly won’t disappear once the new module is released. Mutable Instruments will be around for several years, and once the last module is sold, I will continue doing repairs over the warranty period of 2 years. After that, I hope I’ll have found a knowledgeable company who will be willing to do the repairs.

In the event of a more brutal termination, the availability of schematics, board file and BOMs will hopefully be sufficient for a third party to open their own repair service.

58 Likes

We also care :hugs:

1 Like

Hundreds of years from now, art college students will reproduce copies of Mutable modules from archived open-sourced schematics and firmware repositories for their creative anachronism classes, and then use them to form grungy airlock bands called “The Spiders from Mars”.

5 Likes