The Dam Drum Machine

I just saw this on facebook this morning.

It’s not DIY and sold out already apparently but I thought I might interest some of you since it was designed by Bleep Labs which have other (rather toyish) products and kits.

BTW, I have been wondering for some time now : Is there any cool DIY drum machine project out there (Anushri’s awesome module left aside…) ???

TR-9090 - get your own 909! Maybe (who knows when it’s ready) the MB-808. This is only a few of those bits out there, there are more if you look around. There are some very cool drum sound modules out there too - the Thomas Henry MPS (look at electro-music.com in the forum) deserves mentioning as it’s awesome and modular…

well there is the delptronics ldb-1
www.delptronics.com/ldb1.php
seems like a nice and versatile drum machine. I think it comes as a DIY kit as well as as an assembled product (with a horrible cheap plastic case)

There’s the Coron DS-8 and a DS-7 kit for those who are into really old-school drum sounds. Plus the Andromeda Space Rockers stuff from Eric Archer. Haven’t tried any of those - yet.

I knew about the ldb-1 which seems really weak soundwise and the Andromeda which has a nice concept but I’d rather have one module.

Thanks a lot for the other suggestions ! :slight_smile:

I really think (although Drums will be a feature on both the Anushri, and, later, the Ambika) that Pichenettes next awesome creation should be a stand alone, midi-compatible drum machine, just sayin’ !

Pichenette’s next creations aren’t going to be available for the DIY for a while. My bet is that some hardware sequencers and/or drum machines and/or romplers are on the list, but if you want something that’s both DIY, based on Olivier’s engineering expertise and a drum machine… you’re going to wait for quite a long period. If I understood well…

Having said that, I was looking at the Dam Drum thing, and I was wondering if the shruthi-1’s hardware couldn’t be used as a 8 bits drum synthesizer unit. Basically, the idea would be to completely re-model the UI and the synthesis engine, and to replace the wavetables by some cheap samples for hihats, while other elements could be modeled. Just like on the Anushri, actually. The filter wouldn’t be used for the enveloppes as on the shruthi, to allow the use of a ‘polyphonic’ drum engine, but would rather be used for adding an analog flavour (which, in my opinion, lacks a lot to the Dam Drum stuff).
I don’t know if i’m being realistic, since the shruthi’s hardware wasn’t conceived for this sort of use, and if that makes sense UI-wise. But this would be a cool and useful addition to the ShruthiVersum™.

I wish I had more time to explore the shruthi’s source code, because I feel like it would be a really interesting project for me. Maybe I’ll have a look at it after mid september.

I’ve got a Thomas Henry MPS pcb with a handfull of those VCO chips for sale if someone in interested…

Yes, a drum-machine firmware for the Shruthi-1 board would be possible but you’re correctly guessing that things are getting tight finance-wise here and that I can’t afford doing a new DIY kit or spend time on this kind of project which - being just software - would take 2 or 3 months to complete and wouldn’t bring any income.

@MicMicMan The Ambika drum voices will be available later this year if I remember correctly, it’s not a drum machine in the strict meaning of the word but a six voice drum synth…

The Ambika drum voices won’t be released this year. Their development is currently halted.

Ah, okey, sorry, and I’m sad to hear that…

“Yes, a drum-machine firmware for the Shruthi-1 board would be possible but you’re correctly guessing that things are getting tight finance-wise here and that I can’t afford doing a new DIY kit or spend time on this kind of project which – being just software – would take 2 or 3 months to complete and wouldn’t bring any income.”

I don’t know if it would be satisfying & worthwhile for you on the money side, but i’d be happy to pay a small fee for a software expansion for the Shruthi, making it work as a drum machine.
For instance, if there had something like a Kickstarter campaign for fundrising/feature-popularity-evaluating, with a 15-30$ subscription, i’d jump right in :slight_smile:

+1 on development subscription … paypal a few bucks a month or certain amount a year to get first crack at spanking new builds?

Not really new builds, but (at least for me) features that may interest (a lot) some people, and not interest (at all) some others.
It may help making viable “small niche projects” ?
For instance, the 2 kind of projects i can think about which i would be glad to contribute is a Shruthi-drum OS and also a Shruthi librarian / VST editor.

A 2 or 3 months software development time for Olivier would mean that we would have to raise fairly more than 1k€ (supposedly : he would keep on developping new projects while working on this OS like a third of his time), which seems pretty difficult to me : we would need to be like 100 guys at the very least to subscribe for such a feature.

The way we could shorten this development time, or maybe have someone of the community working on it, would be to start it as a community project I think. First, define the needs and the UI (pitch control over the elements? How many elements? how do we sequence them? reverse the elements’ sound? which midi note is mapped to what? how do the buttons work?) and have everything well defined first, or at least the very first, essential bricks. This could be subject to debate and would be a good first step towards a shruthi drums edition OS. After what I think that several people on this board may find the motivation to try and code such a system. Probably not as well as Olivier does, but anyway. Why not have a try. I’m personally motivated, the thing for me now is to see if I’ll be able to spend enough time on this kind of stuff. I’m far from it right now.

What is the coding in (yeah, sounds stupid I know), C, arduino? I’m looking to learn some of this stuff this year, and I think starting some community software project for the Shruthi would be excellent considering that it is intended to be hacked.

it’s c++

I’m on Windows, any recommendations about IDEs or other best environments for this or will it work with MINGW?

edit: don’t think that because I know what minGW is that I know how to use it, I think I’ve never successfully compiled anything other than maybe doing MAME once.

It’s too bad Max isn’t transferrable (or yet on Linux).

EDITedit: just did some looking at the Win7 wiki on building.

financing a drum-machine firmware for the Shruthi-1 could be easy:

everytime a thread gets derailed, the user guilty of derailing has to put a dollar in the derailment piggy bank :slight_smile:

That would certainly out-do Kickstarter!