The Best Feature of the New Korg Poly Is

It is an exciting time to be a synth enthusiast! Everyone is making stuff they slap the word “analouge” on these days, but it would take an effort from Korg to really take you back to those exciting and pioneering days when faux wood paneling ruled the Earth.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eCXAiZhpuDw/Vpab9CjUGiI/AAAAAAAKJvg/aQvOSeTPLnU/s1600/minilogue-hd-98039.jpg

This bold dichotomy between the futuristic front and old-school back-side shows that Korg is always prepared to go to extra lengths that other manufactures wouldn’t dare to go to ensure that warm, vintage tone. While the crowd looks to the main stage, they will know that you are using a vintage synth because no one would put a faux wood panel on the back of a keyboard in 2016.

While you as the user will appear to be in the future using your brand new analogue poly synth, the crowd will wonder why some guy is still using a vintage Casiotone.

I see Korg as the more experimental and daring part of Yamaha.

The angled panel is handy too.

Here is the demo in case anyone hasn’t already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZpEtZF-hg

Overall, what I expected. Pretty much an analogue voice to add to your Electribe sequencer or sync with a Volca. Some of the preset sequences in the demo are awesome, so it can even stand on it’s own without one of those if you want a hardware sequencer in the box.

Now a new “controversy”, does it have a filter per voice or just a global filter? An audio in points to there being only one global filter. While people hotly debate that, I still can’t get over how ridiculous that wood on the back looks.

Big things that stick out to me:
high pass filter can be before or after the delay
linear portamento
chord mode like on the E2 when using mono mode
the filter is kind of dull until it is overdriven when it is in unison mode - more “proof” that it could be paraphonic
only 4 motion controls per sequence compared to the E2 or Volca Sample which can motion sequence all parameters

I’m gonna make a business selling carbon fiber backs for this baby. Carbon fiber and digi-camo.

I like the teeny OLED!

a|x

A quick video demo from a NAMM demonstrator.
Side note: He claims that there is in fact one global filter in the comments section of the Sweetwater demo.
Edit: This is also from the same guy. “correct. It’s not multi-timbral and is one filter per voice. Sorry for the confusion guys. Too many years working with digital synths. LOL”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaBSJ4jq0BE

I will say it now, if there is only one filter, the Prophet 6 has a way batter price per part ratio. The Minilogue is almost highway robbery if it has the number of components I think it does. I am now far more interested to see pictures of its guts.
Still doesn’t stop me from liking the sound. :slight_smile:

@Jensu: There should be a plain black panel behind the wood for those who don’t like it, but you are on to a good idea there, haha.

@toneburst: Yes, the fact that it shows the value of the currently edited parameter is fantastic! The reason why every synth should have a screen.

This “PlugInGuru” keeps misusing terminology and contradicting himself. I wouldn’t trust he knows at all what he’s talking about.

@SirPrimalform: It’s NAMM, he may have only had this synth for less than a week while having to make lots of standard patches and sequences for it very quickly. I can’t really fault anyone there. Korg should include some basic marketing info with each synth they send out from now on to avoid stuff like this. A little sticky note on the panel that read “One filter per voice” would have avoided that confusion.

I can’t imagine them making a paraphonic synth, to be honest. I’m sure it IS one-filter-per-voice.

a|x

@toneburst: I would hope it is one filter per voice too as it says polyphonic on the tin. However, they have made one filter polys in the past like the Poly 800 and Mono/Poly.

@audiohoarder that’s true. In the case of the Poly-800, at least, though, that was always a controversial decision, and entirely a cost-saving measure.

I must admit I do have a soft spot for that ‘feature’ of the P-800, but I’m sure it was a massive irritation to most of the synth’s users, at the time it was released.

a|x

Am I the only one who thinks only 1 LFO and 2 EGs is a bit weak on the modulation side of things ?

I haven’t fallen into EuroTrap (yet) but adding some CV ins and outs would have somehow make up for that.

@dubtoms: The motion recording makes up for only having one LFO in my opinion. You should be able to record the knob movements without having notes in the sequencer. I do always find myself needing “one more envelope” when I am trying to make sounds, so a third env would be very welcome on all synths.

@toneburst: I just run my K1 thru my Shruthi if I want to get those kinds of paraphonic sounds. They do have their uses. They can make really unique pads and percussive chord progressions.

I just wish theyd put a standalone version of that delay effect theyve stuck in every unit since the er-1

Well in my book polyphonic means “1 filter per voice”, while 4 voices that share the same filter is called “paraphonic”. In fact Korg used this same terminology in the Volca Keys manual, so I guess it really is 1 filter per voice. It also doesn’t sound like a paraphonic synth…

What’s wrong with the wooden back? I actually like it a lot. Music stuff can’t have enough wood!

Wow! 8 oscillators and 4 filters overall…

Best Feature? PRICE!

Best feature, I don’t need one. Saves me all sorts of money.

It is sort of amazing that this could be priced so low considering all the hardware involved.