Tell me bout dem resistorz

I’m putting together my first module, and the BOM only states the resistance that the components should have. I’ve read that metal film resistors are less noisy and handle heat for effectively. Do you find reasons to order carbon film resistors? Aside from the materials they’re made of, I’m unsure of the wattage these guys should handle, after looking at well-detailed BOMs of some other modules, it seems that 1/4 and 1/2 watts will do the trick. I’ve found some with larger wattage that are cheaper so I’ll go for those when I can. If there’s anything I’m leaving out that’s important, feel free to enlighten me.
P.s. I have a MUCH greater appreciation for Oliviers directions and BOMs

Thanks,
Michael

Unless what you’re building id in the “power” category (does it drive speakers? motors? lasers? heaters?) 1/4W is fine.

There’s no reason to use carbon film in audio circuits unless you want things to sound “vintage”. MF25s (metal film 1/4W - what I use for all my kits) are cheap and very easy to find.

Thank you very much, I’ll continue hunting after these steaks are done grillin’

also higher wattage usually comes with larger package which doesn’t always work with the pcb layout. you only need 1/4 W for our stuff here.
just one hint: don’t buy 1000er packs Metal film on ebay from chinese sources just because they’re half as they’d cost for example at Reichelts. after reading a thread at Muffs about such resistor bargains in which it was explained how to determine whether it’s carbon or metal i tried mine and learned that i am proud owner of a huge number of mislabeled carbon resistors that are even out of tolerance for carbon. i’ve used that shit all over the place :frowning:

I did buy such an ebay stash too and mine are alright… Since then i (almost) always have the right resistors for every project. Ok i had to refill the common ones a few times.
They are a bit lesser quality than normal reichelt or mouser ones. Especially the legs are a bit thin. And probably the temperature sensitivity too. But they were all within the 1%.