Suggestions wanted. Friends of Yarns and Elements

Hi!
I’m getting back eurorack and ended up with a Yarns and elements combo. I have some space left in my 84hp skiff. What do you think of marbles and stages as companions?

I want this as a stand-alone intrument. I have no intention to hook it up to a computer. I started out with a Yarns only setup because it’s both a sequencer and oscillator. It’s connected to a keyboard right now but I think I want to ditch that in the future.

How are you planning to play this? Attach a keyboard, sequence with something external?

@barksten From my perspective, Elements (and Rings) really unlock a ton of potential when you feed them live sounds. If I were you I wouldn’t order all at once but an Elements and an Ears (https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ears-special/) to start with. Get a Piezo and solder it to a cable for the external input of ears. Then some sort of LFO or envelope generator - I don’t have a stages but it looks great for the job, but maybe you should look at Tides, the Befaco Rampage or Makenoise Maths as well. All 3 do awesome superslow modulation.

We just have a plain attennuator (Thonk AT-AT-AT or Dreadbox Attenuator or similar) between our Audio Interface (RME) and the modular, so unless you need the headphone out you could use an attenuator, thus saving some space and instead add a multiple (Dreadbox WL Multiple or similar) - you’ll most probably need one to try all the nice modulation capabilities!

Last thing I’d consider would be to leave some space or get a 2 row rack from the get go :stuck_out_tongue: once your hooked you’ll want to try out more crazy stuff :star_struck:

All just suggestions of course!

I have a keyboard for now but since I’m not a very good keyboard player I want some other sequencing, hence the marbles.
I want it to be self contained. No external sequencer.

To be clear; I have some space to fill. It’s a black hole (32hp) where marbles and stages are in the pic. I want to fill it with mutable instrumentes modules only.

Then why Yarns? I mean it can be a sequencer, but you might also think about something that gives you a bit more realtime control, or is more hands-on when it comes to programming sequences. Yarns is best with a keyboard I find.

I was starting with yarns and elements since i wanted to start as small as possible. I could play elements with my yarns/keyboard as a “non-modular” synth. Now I want to take the next step. I don’t want to get rid of yarns until I have filled the hole first.

I have elements + Marbles + Stages and they go great together.
I would also consider Tides