Suggestions for Home Studio Monitors / Near Field

If I were buying again, i’d definitely check out the HS50’s/80’s. They are well regarded for inexpensive monitors.
That said, im running PMC TB2’s and a self built(ish) Hypex amp. But it’s rather overkill for my small room and modest sonic doodlings… Plus the rig is almost too revealing for casual music listening. The slightest flaw sticks out a mile and constantly smacks you in the face.
On the flip side, a perfect mix sounds sublime… Thats what good monitors should do of course. But it comes at a price, and means you can’t comfortably use them for all things all of the time.

Despite from actual recommondations:

any speaker will do, as long as you know how to handle it and know its weaknesses and nonlinearities. Remeber the NS-10M? Awkward speakers but yet to find in many Studios. Shure its easier havin some nice A7 around but if you are like me used for 25 Years to the same Speakers, the best Mointor will be of nearly no benefit.
So go for whatever suits you personal need and hear a lot of music with it. The Monitor itself isnt as important as you knowing how to mix and hear.
Or to put it another way: buying a Steinway doesnt make you Glenn Gould.

just want to butt my ugly mug in here and say that $300 worth of monitors and $300 of room treatment will go a lot further than $2000 monitors with no room treatment

+1 for defenestrations insight.

anyone every try a pair of genelec 6010s? I’ve had to get rid of my hs80s due to space issues and impending fatherhood, these diminutive genelecs look quite nice…

I am using in my “Dachkemenate” Adam A3X. They are tiny, and when it comes to mids or the high frequency range they really kill more than my Genelec 1030 did. As said before it is hard to get a hard and punchy low end out of a 5.25" speaker. So i monitor my bass with AKG 271 MKII headphones and the combination is in my opinion the best for this price - together around 550€.
If i’d have more money (likely around 1200€) i would be a proud owner of a pair Neumann KH120A. Hear them and you won’t ask any answers. They are absolutely without any compromise - they beat far more expensive nearfields.
But again as said before, without room measuring and respectively acoustic treatment, you are burning your money.

I had the luck to work with the Geithain series of studio monitors for a number of years. Should I ever feel an urge to spend money on serious monitoring at home, that would be my choice.

I agree with defenestration up there… Good monitors are nice to have but if your room is covered with hard, flat, reflecting surfaces, even the best monitors on earth will give you an inaccurate listening experience.
If you don’t have much money to put into the project, I would suggest focusing on getting monitors that just have a really good representation og mids and highs. Bass is usually the hardest part to get under control in the room anyway, so you might save yourself some work if you get monitors that aren’t too bassy.
Then you can supplement the monitors with a pair of good headphones. You get a lot of bang (and bass) for the buck with headphones. I chose a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-150. They are of the closed type, which usually (as well as in this case) means that they are quite heavy in bass. This means that they don’t give an entirely honest representation of the sound, but it suits me fine because I tend to end up with too much bass in my mix.
For something with a more realistic representation of bass, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro, or if the budget doesn’t allow that, the DT-990 Pro.
Before selecting a pair of monitors or speakers, it’s a good idea to do a google search for the model’s frequency response. If you want realistic, you will want a flat frequency response, quite different from Hi-Fi.

We use KRK Rokit 6. Nice speakers.

These are fairly inexpensive and have gotten a very good rep:

I have not heard them though…

Equator D5’s.

I use the Yamaha HS-50s. Great price, versatile, flat sound reproduction. I know how they sound having used them for so long… I love them and wouldn’t change them.

Nice thread

Just wanted to interfere with Frank’s remark :
Remeber the NS-10M? Awkward speakers but yet to find in many Studios
Actually, those monitors are used mostly as a “crash test”. They are so bad that when your mix is sounding well on them, you’re guaranteed that your mix is going to work anywhere. They are used kinda like a “car test”. You won’t see them often as the main pair of monitors in a professional studio.

Thats exactly what i am pointing at: if you know your Tool you know how to achieve your Goal with it. Even with NS-10Ms.

Well… i think it’s very handy to have some monitors wich reveal all detail in your mix… I used to have Alesis m1’s wich always gave me problems with mixes sounding very different on other speakers. I about it but stil was difficult getting it right. Since i have the genelecs i don’t have that problem anymore. If it sounds good on the genelec but crap somewhere else it’s just because the other system is crap. I’m sure if you are very good you can mix on anything but i need a little help from good equipment. And about room treatment. You can achieve a lot in your room without money. You should’t be very precise about how it looks though. I keep the spare guests matres stored in the studio for instance. I also have a lot of open cupboard storage on all the walls wich reflects the sound nice. Only problem i have is the cealing i still want to make a diffuser for it.

@fcd The thing is, though, that along the way you don’t get a lot of usable feedback from those. They are not used for mixing - they are used for cross-checking only afterwards. That’s a huge difference :-).

@fcd72: Yes, true to some extent. But just as an example: on my old monitors I couldn’t even hear 808 kicks. Completely useless for the music I make :))

For Car proof checking i use - tadaaa! - a Car. Although nowadays theres frightening good sound in Cars - probably better than NS-10Ms. . .

True that, you cant mix on a Phone Piezo. I suggest you have some Monitors of any kind that actually work. The rest is more up to your personal habit/expectation/gearocalypse. The best thing to do is get 1 or 2 Pairs and try in you Place. I had quite some here and sent them all back as i had no better results as with the ones i had for 25 years… OK, i kept the Behringers because they back then matched my Wifes decorating Color Scheme :wink:

When I was engineering at a studio back in the early part of the 2000’s we used a pair of NS-10’s, a pair of Tannoy’s (can’t remember which though) and a set of shitty boom box speakers. The NS-10’s were the mains. Sure they sound like crap, but that’s the point. We mixed some fairly well known acts on those monitors. The recordings always came out sounding super pro.

EDIT: of course we primarily recorded post-punk, rock, punk and other fine Chicago staples.

Ah, I worked for years with a pair of B&W hifi speakers like these
from 1976 which I bought 2nd-hand for £40 in about 1993, and a really crappy 1980s Hitachi hifi amp. The speakers are still going strong, and are currently connected to a NAD amp in our dining room.