Stone Cases?

Total indulgence -
CNC
According to the company,
Lapicida now have an ‘NCF 1600 Breton 5-axis CNC Shaping Mill’. This goliath is capable of taking up to a 25 ton block of whatever stone you like and shaping it into whatever 3D object you fancy. It’s the only one in Europe and one of only three in the world – the other two are in Russia and Australia. It’s currently in the final stages of being installed and we can’t wait to see it in action.

Nice… if you have a 10 ton Shruthi…

Thats why its called hardware…

I’ve done a Lego case and a thick plexi “ice” case, I suppose stone might go well with the ice theme. This does give me some ideas for an Ambika case. Oh oh…

Having considered buying one of the limited edition Genoqs (only 5 made) sequencers , which was Slate, Aluminium with gold knobs/buttons it has given me ideas too…

Lee Valley is a very cool hardware seller in Canada, that is now stocking small slate sheets:

Slate

I wond

I have recently seen slate sheets like that offered as serving dishes for fancy hors-d’oeuvres in european deco shops line Casa, Blokker,…
I’m starting to have ideas too…

As I said , I gave serious consideration to buying one of these and it gave me ideas.
Genoqs
I was concerned with what I was hearing about Genoqs business, so I swerved…

An Ambika that you can eat off of. Hmmm… A tapas bar where each tapas comes with its own signature sound! The entire restaurant can jam and eat all at the same time. I’m not sure this is going in a good direction.

Went shopping yesterday and found two sources for slate casters (to put hot cooking pots on a table without damaging it). Size would be about that of the Shruthi top and bottom panels, so you’d need four of them - at a shade under 5€ each. It’s the cutting and shaping that’s holding me back, especially for the display window and switch openings. And little details like holding the case together and still being able to open it if you need to service what’s inside.

if you can manage the little holes for pots and buttons it should not be a problem to add the holes for the screws too. metal already is hard enough to put square holes through (it’s why i don’t do it) but rock?

Apply a protective layer and then leave it under a waterfall for a longer period of time?

OTOH, it might be smarter to grind up the slate, mix the powder into polyester resin and then cast plates from that.

I think square holes shouldn’t be an issue if you are owner of a Dremel, but it will be a damn lot of work…

My plan was stone sides - aluminium facia - not so ambitious initially , but yeah , I see a bit of Dremel work in the forseeable future

A quick investigation has revealoed certain companies in the UK will send you a sample natural slate tile of your choosing for a nominal 2 GBP , free p+p
regards