Stages

Uh, silly question: What’s the connecting cable called? I might have misplaced mine.

female-female jumper wire.

I can send you one, though!

Thank you so much. Sent you mail. :heart:

Ouroboros is great. But now I need a second Stages to do the things Stages was doing. Speaking of — had an epiphany for a DIY project, should I ever learn to make design, produce, and assemble modules: Combine an on-off switch for the jumper wires and some attenuverters or offsets into a companion module. I almost always use attenuverters with Stages and it would make it easy to toggle back and forth without removing the module.

Beware! The module detects if it’s self-linked only when it boots.

After using stages for a while, the mode switch time of 1s felt
kind of way too long, so I knocked it down to 200ms. Didn’t have
an accidental mode switch yet, and no longer feel like wasting
precious time holding down these buttons. I had an arm toolchain
already installed, so

git pull + modify + make -f stages/makefile wav

…was all that was needed to get a custom firmware running. Will
vote for mutable with my wallet again :slight_smile:

so we finally got a Sparkfun order together that was “significant” enough to throw in one of these jumper cables for my Stages.

this implementation of Oli’s harmonic oscillator that I’ve jammed with on Braids, Sheeps, and Plaits is very nice. like Stages itself, the voice is super accessible. of course just playing around started eating up all the modulation and triggers I use in the rest of my patch. I’ve been using harmonic oscillators with Rings a lot and ooooo does this make a fun partner for Rings.

I highly recommend just playing around if yr keen and have a Stages and are willing to give up whatever Stages has been doing in yr patch (for me, it’s been doing a lot). the variety of control and output kinda blew my mind.

This Ouroboros mode is so good and pairs so perfectly with Just Friends that I don’t know if I’ll ever revert to the already awesome standard mode :heart_eyes:

Small feature idea: it’d be cool if, when using a single STEP segment for sample-and-hold, putting the segment in loop mode would switch the functionality to track-and-hold.

You mean the time you need to hold a button to activate loop mode for the segment? What did you modified exactly? I can’t find it in the source. Thanks.

Yes, please!!!

joeSeggiola writes:

You mean the time you need to hold a button to activate loop mode for
the segment? What did you modified exactly? I can’t find it in the
source. Thanks.

right, I adjusted the const kLongPressDuration in both chain_state.cc
and ui.cc. Not sure yet why it’s defined twice though…

The one from ui.cc is used for the easter egg, the one in chain_state.cc is for normal operation.

I was getting some cool things going on with guitar going into cv in (and nothing patched in the gate, not sure if that is important) in the orange and red modes. Both seem to be reducing sample or bit rate. The red mode seems to be a sort of filter. It introduce tape warble sounds when you turn the channel’s pot. Sliders in both seem to add over drive or changing harmonics.

What are these two modes? Apologies if I’m asking something that’s already been answered, I checked this thread and the manual and didn’t come across it.

There’s nothing mysterious, and the manual actually describes what you experienced :slight_smile:

First thing first, Stages samples CV inputs at 3.906kHz, with only a 1-pole filter before the ADC, so that explains the overall bitcrushed and low-resolution tone you get.

In orange mode, the module behaves as a sample&hold + portamento (portamento/glide adjusted by the small pot), so effectively, the glide circuit is an extra 1-pole filter on the audio signal.

In red mode, the module behaves as a delay. The small pot adjusts the delay time. The delay implementation is tape-like in that it downsamples the CV to achieve delay times longer than what the buffer can do.

The sliders always act as offsets on the CV input, no matter what. Then you’re simply adding a DC offset to your input signal, possibly causing clipping.

Hi there,
a question about using Stages as a LFO; can it be set in some way to be “free running” so that it doesn´t require any trigger or gate to output a LFO? I´d like to have long lfo modulations, and would not like to get a specialized LFO for this, stages would be perfect. Thanks!

Yes of course.

Great, thanks. Fantastic module, so versatile!