Stages

That sounds very nice Mark ! I’m going to have to get mine racked and actually have some fun playing with it :slight_smile:

I don’t (yet) have a stages, so I have not looked at the code for any reason. Was the Ouroboros clue in the body of the firmware somewhere?

Think this Easter egg that “doesn’t exist” mean we should take a look at new tides, marbles, and plaits code?

I sold mine as I didn’t need it as thought. Think I’ll be ordering another this week…!! Thanks for doing the sherlock!

Can’t hurt… :slight_smile:

enum OscillatorShape {
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_IMPULSE_TRAIN,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SAW,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SINE,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_TRIANGLE,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SLOPE,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SQUARE,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SQUARE_BRIGHT,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SQUARE_DARK,
OSCILLATOR_SHAPE_SQUARE_TRIANGLE,
};

It also does through-zero linear FM…

And I may have missed something while glancing at the code on my phone, but I think it works with multiple Stages too, if they are connected in a loop. You might need a longer connection cable to close the loop, though.

Edit: I don’t think the external /through-Zero FM is enabled, but facilities for it are in the oscillator code. Just have to hook them up to inputs in the main code. PWM of each partial also looks like it is possible…

The sample rate is only 32kHz, but all the waveforms are MiniBLEP bandwidth-limited, so it should sound pretty good, although it might need a little bit of low-pass filtering to remove quantisation noise.

Tides, Marbles and Plaits don’t have easter eggs.

That sort of secret handshake is not only cool because it makes you feel like a hardware hacker but also a very good idea to make sure nobody would enter a mysterious mode without knowing it.

It’s also quite a funny joke…

A little note about the Perfect Circuit Audio video… The easter egg is activated when a module detects that its position in a chain or the size of the chain is > 6 (when it’s self-linked its position and the chain size is infinite, which is > 6). There was a bug in the version of the firmware shipped in the first batch where this condition was incorrectly coded as >= 6. This caused a module that was part of a (legit) chain of 6 to enter the easter egg. This has been fixed of course!

I didn’t paid enough attention back then. Must be funny for you to see that though.

Call me corny, but the whole process of unscrewing the module, digging up the chaining cable, self-connecting the leads – a kind of transgression, as I would be scared of short-circuiting things if this were a more primitive module – then powering up my rack in anticipation and discovering a whole new world of sound, felt very magical.

Hidden beauty tickles me. Harmony obscured by layers of noise, screamed or whispered poetry, a sensitive soul in a gruff or awkward exterior, a beautiful mural in a back alley, a fountain in a corner of a garden labyrinth… Not as a hipster elitist strategy, but because hiddenness seems to be an inextricable part of the beauty of a thing that simply exists for and in itself, with a kind of shyness even, not trying to please, almost fearful of its own impact, taking shelter in coarseness or complexity, more for the viewer’s protection than for its own.

It must have taken a considerable amount of time and effort to add this mode, and then not to exploit it as a selling point but to have the patience to just leave it to chance, and offer us the joy of unexpected discovery, is simply wonderful.

This, indeed. What a rare human being. Thank you Olivier.

It occurs to me that this relates to “retiring” Edges also (a module I still use often). The Stages version is, unsurprisingly, an elegant replacement.

And, re-reading the product page, we have this clue, in hindsight…

“Stages probably does strange and wonderful things when patched in a certain way.”

Clever gent!

Ah… so that’s what that meant…

Plaits, Tides, and Marbles are one big easter egg.

Oh sweet lord this is magnificent

Mmm… Two hours :slight_smile: I thought that the interface of the module lent itself pretty well for this feature, and I had to do it! It’s not a very big paragraph of code. The oscillator code is from Plaits/Warps. The code for detecting self-chaining was already there, and initially put the module in factory testing mode.

There’s actually a little bug that causes the slider to light up erratically on most units (those with a slight positive offset on their CV inputs).

Haha, that’s pretty amazing.

I’ve noticed that. I was wondering if it meant anything. Just a tiny rave light show then.

The brightness is supposed to represent the amplitude (as adjusted by the slider and the CV input). If you put the slider in minimum position, the flickering of the brightness represents the noise on the CV input. On my test unit, the calibration was such that it oscillated between -5mV and -1mV, so it stayed dark. On a correctly calibrated unit, the noise is typically between -2mV and +2mV, and it’s enough to give a faint random light.