Stages

Ah, ok - ever wondered why the chaining cable is so long for just one module ? It only needs to jumper to the next module - right beside it - right?

On its own, stages gets hungry - like ouroboros…

Harmonic oscillator awaits…

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

I was intrigued by that Ouroboros reference in the code and yet never made that, eh, connection. Oh wow!

I’ve got a video of the Easter Egg just uploading :slight_smile: Currently at 39% …

It’s rather cool… worth the price of the module, if it did nothing else… it’s a really nice ui for it as well…

I was just searching YT to try and find something.

Fast work Mark ! Did you get home early :slight_smile: ?

It’s VERY cool - lots of potential and I will need to buy another Stages as a result!

With two of them you have a complete voice…

Buttons change wave shape, sliders tune, knobs fine tune? What is happening with the I/O?

Button changes waveform
Slider 1 is Coarse tune, Pot 1 is fine tune
Sliders 2-6 - Slider controls volume, Pots select note from harmonic series
I was sending v/oct into channel 1 Time / Level input
Single output was going to VCA
Just for fun I was triggering channels 1-4 using the new Tides module…

To be honest I was just messing about - am sure someone else will be able to explain things more accurately :slight_smile:

Hmm, interesting choice of ‘handshake’. Maybe it’s to keep people from thinking their module is broken due to being in Easter Egg mode…

Ah ha! There was a perfect circuit video with 6x Stages, the description suggesting that you might need 6 of them to access the Easter egg. Self patching (it is in some sense, no?) is an interesting way to get there!

I love @pichenettes’s approach to polyphony across the mutable line. It’s not the only way to get there, but it is an interesting and quite useable set of implementations.

The first ourobouros mode on a Mutable module was implemented in Bees-in-the-Trees alt firmware for Braids. But it only caused the menu items to wrap around in a loop. Not nearly as cool as this.

So from my first experiments:

• The leftmost segment sets the root pitch.
    Its slider and Time/Level CV In are pitch (V/Oct)
    Its pot acts like a fine tuner
    Gate In is trigger/strum? Only affects its own segment, it seems.
  • The other segments are partials
    The pots set their interval in relation to the root pitch (with a familiar slide between the harmonic ratios where you can pinpoint more dissonant intervals, à la orange Rings)
    Slider and Time/Level CV In control volume/VCA
    Gate In is an additional individual trigger/strum for each partial again?

The buttons for each segment flip between waveforms (green sine, orange triangle, red square).
Output 1 is a mix of all segments with their respective volumes as set by their sliders and Time/Level CV Ins, the rest are individual direct outputs for the partials.

I may have gotten a couple of things wrong, it was a crazy ride.

I’ve been playing with it for about an hour and all the time I was thinking: you know what would be the perfect companion module for this? Stages! I desperately needed several slow LFOs or envelopes to bring in partials as the notes evolve.

Sadly, I only have one Stages, but I linked up Maths’s sections 1 and 4 to bring in delayed groups of partials as I held each note. I tried a couple of Euclidian rhythms from Pam’s too, I reckon you could do fun stuff with separate triggers for each partial.

There are three more waveforms (long press buttons).

Whaaaaaat. :astonished:

Saw and two square waves with different pulse ratio

I’m messing quite a lot with the fw at the moment to add a few things I want - I will probably add ui controls to access the easter egg if it is feasible - which it very much looks like it is…

Another short vid