Stages

I think I realized a trick that I wanted to share when using Stages.

As the manual says, you should patch [gate-based] segment sections from right to left.

I would recommend patching LFOs (single looping green segments) from left to right. This allows you to utilize the rest of the segments for other stuff more easily by just putting gate cable(s) to the right of rightmost LFO. You can’t really do the same if the LFOs are all the way to the right, because putting a gate on the leftmost LFO causes them to ping-pong cycle to the gate signal.

What happens when you do that is simply that you create a new group with all the leftmost segments.

Thanks for the explanation.

To unpack the idea more, basically last night I started out with 3 LFOs from Stages, which I patch in the right most inputs. Later on in the patch, I wanted a 2-stage envelope from Stages, but I couldn’t figure out a way to do that without rearchitecting the patch to have the LFOs leftmost.

Since my second Stages is on the way, I was wondering what the proper way to DIY a longer chaining cable would be. I’m decent with soldering and building modules from kits but I know next to nothing when it comes to connector nomenclature. What are the connectors/headers called?

Also, since I’m writing about it, could stages be potentially used as a clock source and clock divider. In looping single ramp mode, with a gate input and square waveshape maybe? I haven’t had the time to try this since I thought about it.

Will it be long enough?

Yes.

Awesome! Thanks for both answers. I’m thinking of placing a Stages to the left and right of Marbles to have some nice symmetry in my case :slight_smile:

Maybe you don’t need to chain them?

Chaining them allows you to create envelopes spanning more than 6 segments. But it’s going to be a bit counter-intuitive to use if there’s such a big gap between the modules…

Maybe I won’t need to chain them, indeed. For now I use it a lot for LFOs, slewing and even sequencing. But now I know what the connectors are called.

Just patched Stages as a clock divider/multiplier. Awesome. I really like how it doesn’t interrupt the current cycle if you move the slider/modulate the time.

Is Stages capable of a multiple attack envelope, such as an ADADSR? I’m not seeing any examples that include more than one rising stage. Or maybe it can be accomplished by dividing it into two envelopes (AD + ADSR) and triggering the second one on the completion of the first? But then would the combined output have to be created via a mixer?

Sync

If you just want the ADADSR to play in one go with one gate (since you have a sustain in there you need a gate) then Stages will do that out of the box without any problem.
You basically just configure it to ( R ) ( R ) ( R ) ( R ) ( H ) ( R ) where R is a ramp and H is hold (for the sustain).
Stages always treats the first ramp as a raising one and then alternates between falling and rising until it reaches ad hold or step, after which it falls again. Of course you need to arrange things in a way so that you have a raising segment before the hold.
Stages is even to clever as to letting you define the target value of the falling ramp (the knob will not control the shape but the target level for that segment.

Ah, that sounds great-- didn’t know about the alternating rise/fall. So it looks like I’ve found yet another module from MI to add to my want list…

Enjoying it tremendously so far, only one thing i cant seem to wrap my head around:
When i set all 6 stages to green and trigger them successively from stage one, i should receive a jagged/falling and rising waveform at output one, since the segments will alternate between rising and falling in that configuration, no?
Now what i get is something like an asr waveform that holds as long as it takes to scan through the individual segments which seems a bit weird to me.
Anybody knows what im doing wrong?

EDIT: nevermind, I didnt take into consideration the last rule of determining target voltages (potentiometer determines level if no other way of specification is available

If I’m not mistaken, you’d be getting a AR envelope with all segments green, with the slope on the release portion being split in 5 equal portions, each with a different angle set by the small potentiometer. To have something jagged you’d have to have some yellow segments along the path to specify where green segments should lead. I think.

that is one way to do it. However, all green segments permit you to simply set their target levels with a potentiometer if they dont have any other way of knowing their target voltage :slight_smile:

Indeed. Alternating segments was something we discussed with Hannes earlier in the development, but this idea has been discarded since then.

Correct, but I don’t think it permits you to change the level to the point the direction (up/down) of the voltage is changed.

I must have picked it up from some retrospective discussion. I too think this approach is better as it allows things like two decay stages for nice acoustic style envelopes as stated in the manual.

actually it does! a stage can go further up or change direction downward depending on the end-level of the previous stage if thats what you mean

I’m glad I bought two of them. This module never ceases to amaze me.