Stages

I won’t do it.

Not much, but you have to modify the code.

Not sure I understand the issue… Do you mean patching an external LFO into the CV input of a specific step? In this case you need to turn the SHAPE/TIME pot to the minimum for this step – otherwise portamento is applied.

Ok, i think i understand my mistake:
I did a LFO (green LED blinks), instead of one step of my sequence.
For example: 5 step (orange non looping) and the last one Green Looping. A gate in the first segment only.
But i imagine the LFO take the gate like Multiple/divider, no? and it needs some time to begin cycle if i put it really fast (multiply)? maybe it’s why i listen like slew…or delay.
So my only way to do it is: " patching an external LFO into the CV input of a specific step? In this case you need to turn the SHAPE/TIME pot to the minimum for this step – otherwise portamento is applied." ???
So i can’t do 6 step sequencer with 1 step LFO if i only use STAGES. I need 5 step sequence + 1 LFO which i plug into one my step. is it true?

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding. You can’t have an LFO step.
You can turn one step into an LFO, or you can have a multi-segment thing where one segment is a ramp. But how would an LFO-step work anyway.
If you want to have the LFO run by itself without being influenced by the trigger you need to keep it on the left, so for example if you want a 5-step sequence + an LFO you’d set the first segment on the left to ramp and make it loop, then patch a gate into the second input and set all the other segments to step.
But maybe I didn’t understand what you are trying to do.

2 Likes

Hello Joe! Is it possible to make it so that only the stages “under” and to the right of the button pressed turn to the new mode? In my mind i’m picturing being able to hold the second from the last button and getting the “ouroboros” mode but with only 2 voices, and the first 4 stages act like “normal”

Hi! I don’t think it’s possible, or at least I’m not confident enough to implement that. Sorry…

Would someone clever be able to modify the firmware to give a long press or combination rendering the potentiometers and sliders reversed? This would be beautiful for a gate delay patch where each slider would represent a stage in a strum pattern and could be modulated, played more physically and be easier to discern the balance of strums from the position of the sliders. Is there a champion for making this dream a reality?

Just got a second case that I plan to use on it’s own, in a different part of my living accommodations from my other case. This time I’m also challenging myself to pick modules that I was interested by for my first case but back then decided against because they seem to complicated or far off my usual, simple way of working. Stages is one of those modules.

As always I start small and force myself to make music with what I got before I’m allowed to buy more modules. This is my starting lineup:

For the first couple of patches I’ve been using Stages in the harmonic oscillator mode. When I feel a bit more confident with this setup I’ll switch it to the normal mode and hope that I get into the open world principles of it.

It normally takes me 6-12 months from recording a patch to actually transform it to a full track and release it so I made a short video just to show how I’m using the this setup.

1 Like

Today I was trying Krell patches for the first time with Stages. I also was using Marbles and Stages to accomplish this. I started with 2 segments in ping-pong loop outputting the second segment to clock on the right side of Marbles. I then realized quickly this was giving me an EOR/EOA rather than an EOC, so I added a third stage. Three ramps, cycling 1-3, with the final stage really short. This does seem to work quite well in this setup.

I wanted to see how others were doing it and came across this post. I am little confused by the 2 ramp 1 hold method. Are you melting the hold (EOC) to Marbles clock and the first stage gate input? How exactly are you getting the loop working?

I am noticing that when I use a step stage (any of them) to output a static voltage I am only able to get a max of +6.67 volts or so. Also, lfos are only cycling up to 6.67. Is this normal? I thought it should be +8? Could it be my scope(using ornament and crime). Thanks!

Doesn’t O+C have a 10v range that’s more or less allocated to -4ish to +6ish v?

When I put a meter on an orange step in stages the max is 8.04v.

I believe it does, but I’m only seeing +6.63. I’m getting +5v out of my Pam’s, and +5v out of quadratt. I’m also noticing that I can only get -3.33volts to show up on the scope, won’t go any lower (quadratt can put out -5v). So, I’m guessing it’s the range of the scope as I’m typing this out…edited to say I’m using hemispheres so maybe that’s the issue.

I currently use marbles as a quantizer to quantize a sequence of Stages step sequence.
Would it be possible to make the Stages segments output quantized directly in the module with some clever UI?

Yes, technically possible.

And as for UI; how about hijacking the long press in orange mode? Looping a single stage doesn’t make sense? Or does it?
And in quantize mode the trimmer can set scale since glide doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Did you think any more about quantizing stages outputs? Is this something you could do, or are you just suggesting it :wink:

I don’t have a quantizer in my setup so this would be really handy!

Someone can do it, but it’s not going to be part of Stages’ firmware or of anything I would officially endorse and support. The module is already quite complex as is.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand. I more asking if some user was going to implement it.

I was thinking about it but I don’t have any spare time left at the moment. Not even enough time to play with modular so I have sold most of my modules :pensive:
But if @pichenettes says it’s too complex I guess it’s too complex for me to do it anyway.

1 Like

Has anyone tried using @joeSeggiola 's firmware with multiple Stages chained together? If so, what happens when you set one to Ouroboros Mode?

I tried this and the stages ended up working wonky, so I went back to the stock firmware.