Stages

Did you think any more about quantizing stages outputs? Is this something you could do, or are you just suggesting it :wink:

I don’t have a quantizer in my setup so this would be really handy!

Someone can do it, but it’s not going to be part of Stages’ firmware or of anything I would officially endorse and support. The module is already quite complex as is.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand. I more asking if some user was going to implement it.

I was thinking about it but I don’t have any spare time left at the moment. Not even enough time to play with modular so I have sold most of my modules :pensive:
But if @pichenettes says it’s too complex I guess it’s too complex for me to do it anyway.

1 Like

Has anyone tried using @joeSeggiola 's firmware with multiple Stages chained together? If so, what happens when you set one to Ouroboros Mode?

I tried this and the stages ended up working wonky, so I went back to the stock firmware.

Hi
I’ve been trying to use stages as a simple clock divider ( marbles as source) , and it always to give to an inverted clock … ( so 180 deg out of phase)

It’s not an issue, I just invert it but wondered if this is correct/expected or in missing something:)

Use the sawtooth - most modules trigger on rising edges anyway. Will write more about this later.

3 Likes

thanks Emile, that works a treat :slight_smile:

its also led me to notice, that the way the shape knob works, that for many modules you can actually use it as a phase offset… so going from 0 deg (saw) to 180 deg (square).
this is really handy if you start chaining a few of these together to form different rhythms.

start feeding different T inputs in from marbles, with a jittery clock and things get fun very quickly…

these modules are just so well thought out … I keep finding so many different possibilities in them.

Typing this on my phone or I’ll forget :slight_smile:

The phase shift of the square emerges « naturally » through the sequence of the morphing waveforms (you have a triangle going from 0V to 8V to 0V, you add increasingly wide plateaus at the minimum and maximum, and you end up with a phase-shifted square). Of course one can artificially add a correction to the phase so that all waveforms have their apex at the same point (and I have a firmware update file doing this), but since pretty much all modules trigger on a threshold or rising edge and are not sensitive to the actual waveshape, I’ve found that when using Stages to actually divide a clock signal, the waveshape control can be repurposed for also shifting the phase of the divided clock and it’s a convenient extra.

10 Likes

Damn youre good at this

3 Likes

Here’s a firmware update file which implements the phase correction to get a constant apex position.

stages_phase_shift.wav.zip (356.2 KB)

7 Likes

super sweet, you can also patch it back to the stages through a vca to get feedback. very springy

Hey I just saw this! Could you explain a little more about how you patched stages as a clock divider? I cant wrap my head around it but it could be super useful if I could!

Question: “Hey I just saw this! Could you explain a little more about how you patched stages as a clock divider? I cant wrap my head around it but it could be super useful if I could!”

Answer:

clock you want divided or multiplied goes into the trigger in middle socket.

clock divided / multiplied comes out of the bottom socket.

Top socket has nothing. (Remember to work from right to left when patching gates.)

trimmer should be full counter clock wise (ramp down) to be in phase or full clockwise (square) for inverse phase.

in the middle of the faders is 1:1. Above the central position is multiply by 2 and then multiply by 4. Below the central position is divide by 2 and then divide by 4.

Note 1: the other wave shapes won’t work as clock signals but will work as beat synchronised Lfo’s.

Note 2: some modules won’t work with the ramp signal (eg: Intellijel steppy wants to know the gate length and behave very erratically with the ramp. It is fine with the square.) If you need square signal in phase you need to invert/rectify.

hope this helps… keep exploring stages it has so many uses

oh nice! this makes sense, thank you so much! what color mode should the led be on?

Green, looping. It’s in the manual!

3 Likes

just a quick heads up: with two stages in non-looping orange mode setting one to max and one to min and at zero slew, inserting a gate rhythm will split the input between the first and second stage output. super fun to kind of dissect rhythms into two parts. bonus: works also as a /2 clock divider with “up” and “down” counting outputs.
I sometimes feel like I am learning a programming language with stages which is an amazing feeling. might get a second one.

EDIT: uuh its cakeday!

3 Likes

dang this is another thing that doesn’t work properly with the vcv port (*edit: on some sequencers).

Hi all,

I have a question about the S&H on Stages. I want to use this in combination with René 2, but when I do the S&H always seems 1 step behind.
I connect the CV and gate output from René to a S&H hold stage, multiply the gate to my trigger input of Plaits and connect the CV output from Stages to the v/oct of Plaits, in this situation the S&H always samples the previous step instead of the active one. I know there’s a way around this by delaying the gate signal, but is this normal behaviour, does the S&H introduce a slight latency causing the trigger to arrive before the cv?
(FYI: this doesn’t happen when i don’t use the S&H and go straight to Plaits from René).