Stages track and hold?

Hello all,

Is it possible to patch Stages to get a track and hold instead of a sample and hold?

tried it and was able to do it with 2 blocks, but it is unipolar, however the 2nd blocks fader acts as a positive offset, so at least you can catch all your data and then adjust it post stages.
(notch on red and blue wave is just where the oscilloscope was redrawing and not a glitch in the tracked wave)

Unfortunately, this is not a track and hold, since the “hold” state is at a fixed voltage unrelated to the level of the input CV when the gate went high.

This is not implemented in Stages as a pre-made block, and I don’t think it’s possible to do it with a combination of segments.

Ah, track’n’hold will hold the voltage on hold and then allow voltage through on high?
How about this? The output is patched into the first stages level input

(again, thats not a glitch in the cv, its just where the oscilloscope is redrawing. Also the green stage patched into the gate is looped square to provide the gate)

Yes my understanding is track and holds will hold voltage with gate low and let it through on gate high. This second one does seem closer to it. A key difference here is that it seems like at gate low it reverts to a fixed voltage whereas what I am looking for is it to hold the last sampled voltage.

I am also a bit confused as to why red is self-patched into the CV of the first segment.

Just for some context, my idea is to use a Pressure Points pressure out into a track and hold and use that as pitch cv. I imagine it would shift the pitch of an oscillator depending on how hard you press and then stay at the pitch it was at when you release. I’ve read about people doing this, just not with Stages so I was wondering if it was possible. Thank you both for the replies, @BlindedVeils @pichenettes, I am new to modular synths and am quite starstruck by the quick response from you Emilie! :slight_smile: Cheers

When gate fires on the first stage, it outputs the sampled voltage from the 2nd stage that is coming out of the first stage, When gate fires again, the first stage outputs the automated fader of stage 2, which is controlled by your cv in. Don’t know why but I think this is it the correct functionality :stuck_out_tongue:

To add - since I am sampling a bipolar voltage, I want to grab all of that data, so I have to keep the 2nd stage fader in the middle, and for the hold I must sample that adjusted value for the hold stage and can’t simply patch the same signal into stage one for the hold.

matches well when dc offset back to match the voltage that was being sampled

The self-patching trick is brilliant! Not sure it would work on the real hardware (any mV of difference between input and output would be amplified).

The offset thing baffles me: Stages’ CV inputs and outputs can handle +/- 8V (might be a VCV limitation?)

However, this patch alternates between the track and hold stages at each rising edge of the gate - not depending on the low/high status of the gate.

1 Like

I think I figured out a way to patch this:

1. one looping step segment on Stages
  2. CV in is a simple sine wave just to test
  3. Gate in is a x48 clock from Pam’s
  4. The key is I am running that clock through a VCA (Muton) and using a gate to CV it (mute/unmute basically)
  5. The Stages out then goes into v/oct

Seems to be working!

This should do the trick, though the “track” bit is instead “sample very fast”. You can speed up the clock as much as you want, though I understand why it might sound less glitchy on transitions if it’s in sync with the master tempo.

You could use a Stages looping green channel as a fast clock, and a looping red channel to gate the clock, so this is actually patchable with Stages :smiley:

1 Like

Got it to work on a real Stages :slight_smile:

Channel 2: a sine LFO (the signal that needs to be tracked and held).
Channel 3: a slower square LFO (the gate that indicates the track, or hold status).
Channel 4: a fast clock (that will quickly sample the CV during the “hold” stage).
Channel 5: looping “hold” segment that mutes the fast clocks according to the track/hold status. (CV in: channel 4. Gate in: channel 3).
Channel 6: a sample&hold receiving the fast, gated clock. (CV in: channel 2, Gate in: channel 5)

You only need channels 4-6 to perform the function, channels 2 and 3 are used here to generate the test signals!

4 Likes

Exactly what I was dreaming about after your last post @pichenettes ! Thanks for the thread @chewysoap, this is a cool tool.

*seems i found 3 vcv stages bugs thanks to this thread

• looped envelope max speed seems way too slow compared to hardware
  • using a looped segment patched into another looped segment doesn’t work like the hardware so you can’t make clock dividers
  • the cv offset when automating cv of a step segment

this is kinda track and pretty slow falloff. I guess firmware can be hacked by users to make green stages have 0 falloff when no gate is plugged in

Oh that’s a cool idea! Since the max release time is about 16s, it might be enough if the “hold” is for less than a second (setting the shape of the last segment full CCW helps making the plateau flatter).

But hacking the firmware to add an infinite attack/decay/release time is kind of a very extreme measure :slight_smile: (it might be difficult to do the adjustment to get a long, but not infinite time).

I must add that these are very fun exercises!

6 Likes

Thanks for your inputs @pichenettes @BlindedVeils I agree this was super fun discussing and figuring out! Kudos to creating such a flexible and deep module