Thanks to @pichenettes for splitting the topic! Hope I didn’t distract from the new sequencer.
Since this is its own topic now, here’s some more information about the firmware!
This is an unofficial firmware for Mutable Instruments Stages. It was originally created by @joeSeggiola and started as a modification to let you enter and exit the “Ouroboros” mode (the harmonic oscillator easter egg) at runtime, while the module is powered on. Then, it evolved adding the ability to sequence harmonic ratios, enable slower free-running LFOs and providing a completely alternative mode that transforms the module into six identical DAHDSR envelope generators.
This fork adds the following to segment generator mode:
- Control over each segment’s polarity, allowing for, for instance, bipolar LFOs; hold button and wiggle pot to toggle
- Control over each LFO segments frequency range; hold button and move slider to top, middle, or bottom to select range
- Control over ramp segments’ re-trigger behavior; hold button and wiggle pot to toggle
- Arbitrarily slow clocked LFOs and improved audio-rate clocked LFOs
- Hold and step segment quantization; hold button and move slider to select scale; slider transposes within key, allowing selection of mode
- Start and end value tracking for ramp segments, which can be used as a kind of VCA or crossfader
See segment generator mode’s usage instructions for details. None of these features interfere with the normal workflow of Stages.
This fork also adds a new mode, advanced segment generator, which:
- Adds a new random segment type, giving access to three different random/chaotic algorithms:
- Uniform random CV
- Emulation of Tom Whitwell’s Turing Machine
- Logistic map
- Makes single, non-gated, non-looping ramp (green) segments slew with independent rise and fall: CV is value, pot is rise, and slider is fall; this can be used as ASR envelope or a envelope follower as well
- Makes single, looping step (yellow) segments attenuate instead of slew
Finally, this fork allows you to control the frequency range of the harmonic oscillator mode (aka ouroboros mode; the Stages easter egg), giving access to 5 harmonically related LFOs.
This fork includes the changes in official firmware 1.1 as well as the extended sequencer official firmware.
Warning: This firmware does not work with multiple chained modules (yet). It could behave strangely if chained. Obviously I’m not responsible for any issue you might encounter.
Download and installation
IMPORTANT: Installation will clear the module settings if coming from a different firmware. Right after updating from an earlier version of this fork, the stock Stages firmware or joeSeggiola’s version, Stages may continuously cycle between green, orange, and red LEDs. Turning the module off and on again should restore functionality. This happens because this fork expands the amount of data stored for each segment, so will be incompatible with the settings stored from a different firmware. If you encounter problems, please let me know, either in a GitHub issue or otherwise.