Stages proposed "Harmonic LFOs mode"

I have an idea for Stages that I would like to try or propose (as it most likely will be beyond my abilities.)

Somewhat analogously to Enhanced Sequencer mode, a GATED RED (looping?) segment followed by UNGATED GREEN LOOPING segments would form a harmonic block of LFOs, where the GATE IN of the first segment would be propagated simultaneously to all the following segments, which could then div/mult the clock as in usual SINGLE GATED LOOPING GREEN behavior.

The POT of seg 1 could be a div/mult of the clock coming in, and thus the whole system could be sped up or slowed down together.

When the CV signal or slider of seg 1 goes high, the clock is stopped and all LFOs are re-set. When the CV or slider goes low, the system runs.

I’m not sure what the output of the first segment could be–perhaps just a copy of the clock coming in to the gate after it’s div/mult by the POT of seg 1. (Or maybe, wild, but if the OUT of seg 1 was patched back into the GATE of seg 1, then the POT of seg 1 could be tempo of a self-generated clock?)

Potential problems:
Maybe the processor can’t handle this? – But I think it can? The easter egg is basically harmonic oscillators.

Maybe the architecture isn’t set up for the clean resetting of the LFO? – This is what I don’t know.

Maybe this interferes with another already established behavior? – Not sure, but I don’t think so? Like, “if seg 1 is RED && THEN ALL LOOPING GREEN in gated group, then THIS MODE,” kind of just like Enhanced Sequencer?

“Why not just use an external mult to patch a looping green LFO out to the gates of several other looping greens?” – It’s messy and you can’t reset the LFOs to sync phase.

“Is this even fun?” – Yes, I’ve tried it with external mults going to all the gates and it’s super fun, but you can’t sync the LFOs phase.

Anyway, this is what I’ve been working on. Thank you all for reading this!

Note that in a group, there can only be one start and one end loop point (potentially on the same segment).

If you want 5 adjacent looping green segments, they have to be independent from each other (either because they are all free-running, or because they are all receiving a trigger).

Another thing that puzzles me: how can the LFO be synchronized to the clock and yet respond to a reset? Does it mean they only track the frequency of the clock, but not the phase?

because they are all receiving a trigger

Right, the idea is that they would be receiving a “soft” trigger delivered from the first segment somehow, and that this mode would override the normal mode of all-green-segments becoming one multisegment LFO. Again, this could be set up with a signal-splitter going to each of the LFOs gates, but that’s messy and there doesn’t seem to be a way to get the LFOs to sync up phase–they’re always offset by some amount.

Does it mean they only track the frequency of the clock, but not the phase?

The HIGH signal on the first segment would cause all the LFOs to restart… I think I see the problem, maybe the first segment doesn’t cause the clock to stop or anything, just when it goes from LOW to HIGH there’s a reset of all LFOs at the next clock pulse and then they continue at the clock’s frequency, div/mult-ed by their slider+cv.

Thank you for your thoughts!

What I’m trying to explain is that the configuration of the module that this mode is supposed to override isn’t even possible. You can’t have something patched in the segment 1’s gate/trig input, then all remaining segments looping.

If you use the Easter egg mode at LFO rate you come pretty close to the behavior you want.

Hmmm, maybe I can modify the the Easter egg mode to allow for LFO reset somehow. Like, HIGH gate on the first segment causes LFO reset on all segments?