Stages feature request: slower LFO

Hi there,

I’m a intensive user of the Stages module. I’ve usually set it up as 2 AD envelopes with 2 LFOs.

However I often find that the LFO speed is quite too fast for some subtle PWM or filter modulation. The modulation becomes quickly very noticeable, while I’m after more ambient, evolving kind of sounds.

So for me, perhaps also for others, it’d be great if Stages would have a possibility for very slow LFOs, with cycles down to a minute or slower. Curious to hear if others think likewise.

1 Like

You can send a negative voltage on the CV inputs to start with.

Also, this:

4 Likes

I’ve been using a channel of Shades with a negative voltage to slow things down :slight_smile:

What is the slowest rate the LFO would reach with negative voltages? what is the maximum negative voltage that it accpets?

thanks!

If you put the slider at the minimum, the frequency is about 0.12 Hz. Since the module can accept CVs as low as -8V, this would give a rate of 0.12 / 256 = 0.0005 Hz, ie, a cycle duration of 2000s.

Nice, thanks!
I read in another post about the LFO having a “step” quality, but I think this happens only if the LFO is lowered from internat software modification.

Using the original software and adding negative voltage will mantein smooth curves ? or is the steppiness considerable?
thanks again

Which post?

Stages uses a 14-bit DAC, and has an output range of -8V to +8V. This means that the output voltage will change in increments of 1mV. I don’t think this is very “steppy”.

This firmware adds the ability to change Stages’ LFO frequency range (among a bunch of other things): Stages - qiemem's alternative firmware (note: the links are messed up in the top post; you can find corrected links later in the thread though). The lowest setting goes down to a 2 minute period (it uses the same frequency ranges as Tides 2). With CV, you can get down to something like 8 and a half hours.

this one, December 15´s reply.

This 2015 thread is not about Stages (released in 2018), but about a DIY project from 2011 that ran on a washing-machine CPU.

5 Likes

Yes. And what a beautiful DIY project given that washing machine CPU! :smile:

oh, my bad, google delivered me there trying to find out about the stages.
Thanks!!!