Stages chaining via stereo minijacks?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone tried bringing the Stages chaining to the front to be patched via TRS minijacks, considering that the Stages link requires three cables, which TRS can provide.

Do you see any issue with this approach, besides possible human errors like connecting the serial with CV or such?

Thank you!

No issue designing an expander bringing the 3 pin connector to a TRS jack on the front, apart from the very obvious one you have mentioned (a human error having here the potential to destroy the module).

Thank you very much for the fast reply!

I gave this a bit more thought and started wondering if using a switched stereo jack would be feasible. That would be in order to have the modules chained by default when nothing is inserted, and using a “passive” jack to disconnect them when needed (offline, of course). The issue here is the fact that the switched jack only has one ground pin.

Now… looking at the schematic (mind you, I have no real experience with this), I did see that one of the serial connections is for a ground connection (would that be the yellow wire in the picture in the manual?)

My hopefully last question would be: would having the ground pins of the serial connection always be connected, even when the RX and TX ones are not, cause any issue?

Thank you very much for your time!

No.

I’m not sure how this is helping…

• You still have to power your system on/off for the change to be recognized.
  • You still run into the risk of patching a signal from another module into this jack and destroy the module.

If your use case is simply to enable/disable the chaining of adjacent Stages modules, why not using a switch instead?

If your use case is simply to enable/disable the chaining of adjacent Stages modules, why not using a switch instead?

To be honest I did consider it in the beginning but the price and size of the 3PST/3PDT switches that I managed to find were, let’s say, surprising. Knowing now that I could perhaps get away with 2PST switches could make things easier.

Thank you for everything! Will hopefully update again once I have something working.

This is still overkill!

You only have to break or make the connection on either the TX or RX line. If one of those is broken, the chaining will be disabled. Even the simplest SPST or SPDT switch will do!

One question remains… what is the use case for enabling or disabling the chaining (knowing that patching, for example, a cable into the first GATE input of the second module in the chain will break the chain anyway).

You only have to break or make the connection on either the TX or RX line. If one of those is broken, the chaining will be disabled. Even the simplest SPST or SPDT switch will do!

This is pretty great. I wrongly assumed that they both need to be either connected or disconnected at the same time.

One question remains… what is the use case for enabling or disabling the chaining (knowing that patching, for example, a cable into the first GATE input of the second module in the chain will break the chain anyway).

My initial idea / main use case was to be able to either have a 3 modules chain, or to reconfigure them easily so that I could use one or two of them in the Oroboros mode. Initially I thought about using ON-OFF-ON switches where the first ON would be the connection to itself and the second ON the connection to the next module.

See this maybe?