Stages as a Clock Divider/Mult and Subharmonic Division

Hi all, can Stages Div/Mult Clock per Stage? And can the same be used to
divide Audio Subharmonics a la Moog DFAM SubHarmonicon?

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, you can use the clocked LFO feature to obtain a sawtooth LFO at /4, /3, /2, x1, x2, x3, x4 the original rate (only these dividers, though). The sawtooth has a hard edge which will perfectly trigger most modules!

There’s a caveat: trigger/gate inputs are sampled at 32kHz without any decimation, so there might be some aliasing added to your input signal. But you can give it a try!

Thank You. I tried on VCV Rack and it does perfect SubHarmonic Divisions,
very clean and musical, i love it, that was the last straw to pull one.

The cool thing is that you can select their waveform with the little SHAPE knob, so you’re not limited to square subharmonics as can be obtained with classic counter/divider modules.

Yes, i was playing with that too now, it can do amazing things.

How do i do that ? Tryed now but do you have some pic how all the controllers ar set and patch cables inserted ? What to clock it from keystep pro ”clock out” and divide stages from there :slight_smile:

I update this old exchange.
Could someone explain to me the concept of “divided audio subharmonics”? What’s dividing what?

Thanks a lot.
Nice day.

If you send a 100 Hz signal to a divider or counter circuit, you’ll get on each of its outputs a tone at 50 Hz, 25 Hz, 12.5 Hz. These all correspond to subharmonics – ie signals one, two, three octave lower than the main signal. This is how the sub-oscillator circuit of classic analog synths work.

Thank you very much. The theory seems more clear now.
So now, i will test it with stages. If i understand, i plug an audio signal in the gate input of an LFO Looping segment of stages and the output should be subharmonics of this sound. That’s right ?

Yes, and by adjusting the slider, you’ll get a different ratio, and thus a different subharmonic or harmonic:

• 1/4 = 2 octaves down.
  • 1/3 = 1 octave + 1 fifth down.
  • 1/2 = 1 octave down.
  • 1/1 = original frequency.
  • 2 = 1 octave up
  • 3 = 1 octave + 1 fifth up.
  • 4 = 2 octaves up.

Yes, it woks and produce creepy noise subharmonics.
Should be interesting but i had to experiment more.
Thank you.

It might be worth trying this:

Choose an audio rate oscillator you like that has a square output. Take this into a 1:3 multiple.

Copy 1: into the first input of a 3 channel mixer.
Copy 2: into Stages’ 6th gate in. The output should go into the 2nd channel of mixer.
Copy 3: into stages’ 5th gate in. The output should go into the 3rd channel of mixer.

Experiment with different divisions or multiplications on Stages by manually adjusting slider 5 & 6 up and down. Note: these will following the v/o tracking of the original oscillator (plus or minus the division or multiplication provided by the position of Stages’ slider).

Experiment with sequencing the division / multiplication by the top cv input on Stages 5 & 6. Note: you may or may not need to attenuate the signal first.

Experiment with the final mixer out into a vca, filter, etc…

3 Likes

Thank you very much.
I will try. It is a new (for me) exiting way to test and explore.

Thanks a lot to share.