ST4 Hybrid Synthesizer/Tracker

I haven’t seen any discussion of this here, so I’d like to share something with fellow chiptune lovers.

Seen that before. Nice idea, could have used some human interface and industrial design though. :wink:

Design wise I like the USB keyboard support. The only other piece of gear I have with that is the Akai Z4, and that is very useful for naming samples quickly. Just for patch naming, I wish that all modern synths had that feature.

The sample looper/scanner sounds very cool and smooth without any pops or clicks. I would love to see a stand alone version of that.

Otherwise, this doesn’t do much more than what my dual boot electibe already does while taking up less space.

its designer makes some pretty good music too

I always wonder why they have to use such tiny screens? you could make something with a Raspberry Pi and use a 10" screen much easier.

I applaud them for making it, but I completely agree with @6581punk’s comment above. Actually it’s made me investigate LittleGPTracker on the Pi again, which seems like a decent option.

Maybe they couldn’t run their software on the pi (problem interfacing with their peripherals, or latency not good enough for them). And maybe they didn’t get good latency between their board and the pi…

to clarify- I was only speaking from a consumer’s point of view, as someone who likes using trackers but doesn’t necessarily need a whole new synth. I’ve absolutely no idea what’s going on under the hood of the ST4, edit found a video of it uncloaked though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BWMcOULlIU

I’m not saying the Pi is a good platform for this. Just that it has a lot of facilities for a low cost. Small screens aren’t great for people with less than average eyesight.

I love the idea of the combination DIY+sampler+VCF. What would make me buy it is a capable synthesis and modulation (matrix). Ideally a 4 voice ASR 10 with individual analog filters.

Hi, it’s me Pieter… I’m the maker of this thing :wink: Yes, the Raspberry PI comes to mind. Initially the project grew from another concept, and so the Arduino Due (Atmel SAM3X) was used. Still a very very powerful MCU (I’d say better than most STM32 in terms of interfaces), but indeed for displays it can be a bit tricky. You’re using up loads of GPIO just to get that screen running smoothly. Same for sample RAM. But it’s meant for percussion and short speech samples, so that is not a big problem. The USB keyboard support is indeed pretty zappy (and it’s for a large part custom code), and I don’t know what a Pi with a vanilla kernel/driver would have made of it.

As for the industrial design… it’s just a prototype casing. It’s going to shrink a lot. The envelopes section might be reworked to work faster as well.

Modulation matrix is pretty powerful as it is, especially with the per-track nature of the thing. Also stuff like PWM and wavetable morphs can be mapped onto it… Each voice has a multimode VCF, btw… even with voltage controlled resonance.

Thought I’d drop by to share some information :wink:

BTW big fan of mutable, bought a couple of shruthi’s back in the day :slight_smile:

cheers!

Hallo Pieter,

For the LCD (320x240 pixel) i have build an fast 8Bit interface with Xmega Prozessor. So i can make a real scope function in my DIY Synth.

Link: MiniScope in my DIY Synth

For the 1MB Sample-Ram i used the EBI-Interface in the Xmega. Its a fast interface with 64MHz clock-rate. Your prozessor have the same and is faster. You can used use it for ext. Ram and LCD-Interface.

Greetings from germany. Rolf

I love how DIY and makers still meet at this forum :slight_smile: