Squarp Pyramid, anybody using it here?

Yes they’re all just task-specific computers. Though them being task-specific is what makes the difference. The problem with general purpose computers (like PCs and tablets) is that they do everything, but most of the time half ass.

Something completely different. I wonder how complicated it would be to take the Seq24 code and make that into a modern application with a proper GUI…

Disagree. If you set a computer up to do a single task full assed, it can do that task full assed perfectly fine.

Building your own thing for your own purposes is great and a lot of fun, but also always takes a hell of a lot more time and effort than originally anticipated. :slight_smile:

Getting a computer to do work for me has always taken a hell lot of time and effort as well.
The complexity is mainly in the interface, a computer imho needs several controllers to work as an instrument and you’ll end up with a pretty complex system, where the interaction elements are spread out over several input/output devices: screen, mouse, keyboard, external controllers, except maybe with some highly integrated and software specific solutions like Push or Machine.
I find them pretty hard to deal with in a live situation and the final system ends up being very complex and thus prone to errors.
There’s things where computers totally shine: for example (but not limited to) anything that has to do with editing, managing of big chunks of data, tasks where you get the benefit from having a big screen and a precise interaction instrument like a mouse and so on. That’s what the computers (as in keyboard/screen/mouse computers) where designed for in the first place, to manage, edit and process big amounts of data. This is also the reason why many apps that come from the desktop world, are totally crappy on a tablet device.
Anyway, a DAW is basically that, an instrument to deal with big chunks of audio data and organize and process these in various ways. The border to a live-performance system that works with MIDI sequences and audio snippets of course is blurred, that’s why Ableton Live or Bitwig make sense.
My point about general-purpose computers being most of the time half ass is that they are often a very inefficient solution to a simple problem. The reason we need all those controllers/audio/MIDI interfaces is that the computer itself, in its standard configuration, is totally not fit for what you need it to do, so people need to engineer something “around” it to fill in the gaps.

I mostly agree, it’s just that I don’t see that much of a difference between setting up a laptop for performance and setting up something like an axoloti or an aleph or some other microcontroller board that’s running a Linux variant for the same purpose. Assuming that the purpose is to get to the performance, not the process of building your very own device which is of course a great thing in and of itself.

I was more comparing the laptop with something like the Octatrack. I agree that things like the Axoloti or the Aleph are closer to a “normal” computer… actually they fill in a grey zone between general purpose computers and task-specific devices, since they have a more defined feature set, but still offer a lot of freedom to shape them to your needs.

In that case I fully agree even though the OT isn’t my favorite Elektron box in terms of human interface. It’s a bit like how I prefer Bitwig over Ableton, for example. YMMV.

Yes I know! Was just the first that came to mind… :slight_smile:

If you take a computer and set it up eliminating any and all extraneous applications non core to music making, purposefully limiting any use to just music making, it can be a very effective thing.

The issue most of them time is that one usually uses the computer for other stuff too.

That was step #1 when I got the laptop to make music. There’s nothing there, except what I need for making music. That really helps a lot indeed!

In this respect I love my iPads, since they are less multitaskers with keyboard and mouse and more of a 1-trick-pony-at-a-time

if things just would work… so far Lemur has been great, but that’s it. And actually I haven’t really been using it in a really long while. As I said, let’s not talk about iPads, it just makes me remember how much money I have wasted on it.

It seems there is an update for Novation Circuit

Might this be useful to you ?

this is indeed a nice update for what was a totally boring preset machine until now. Still, 4 drum parts is a bit stingy from Novation. I currently have 16 on the E2 and am using between 10 and 12 all the time. But thanks for pointing me at this!

@cereyanlimusiki: That’s nothing new for a dual boot E2. No idea if rumpelfilter has that mod on his E2. The Circuit web editor is really cool though. If only Korg announced that at launch for the Volca Sample instead of an ios only app.

Which mod for the E2 are you talking about? you mean the E2 > E2 sampler mod?

Yes, that one. You still need to have the old firmware installed since you can’t roll it back. No idea if any one has bothered to see if it works on the new firmware. I call it dual boot since rebooting after updating it makes it either a sampler or a synth.

yes I have mine hacked, the normal electribe wouldn’t make sense for me. I’ve heard people having problems when trying to update the firmware but have not really done any deeper research. not sure newer firmware versions really add much though

Ok, a friend of mine borrowed me his Squarp Pyramid and it´s very intuitive for that much functionality and I hardly had to use the manual. Just got into the basic editing modes and it´s very much fun to edit a few tracks for different voices and then jam along. You can do very complex stuff with a little wiggling.

what is the arpeggiator like? that’s the main thing tempting me to get Squarp instead of beatstep pro for sequencing some drums and a couple of synths

Anyone here actually got the Squarp Pyramid by now? Any thoughts?

@rumpelfilter Did you manage to settle on a setup?