Spectral Layers Pro 2

Anyone use the original? The second version just came out and it seems to streamline some of the more simple band isolation for you so you can spend more time on the minute, obsessive details! I’ve decided I can’t live without a dedicated .WAV editor any longer, I just need to decide if it’s worth it to spend $300 on a standalone editor that doesn’t also provide a full mastering suite, like Steinberg WAV Editor or Ozone.

I like the idea of dissecting songs and surgically pulling out samples (to feed the hungry Octatrack), but I also would like a ton of utility for mastering applications.

I also looked into to Audiophile Engineering’s Triumph, and it seems to be attempting a “layers” approach as well, but I hear it isn’t very useful, ultimately.

Did i miss something? Spectral view has been a part of soundfile editors for at least 10 years or so. I always find the normal waveform view much handier to work with then the spectrum view. I use Adobe Audition for the simple cut and past and task and things like volume fade and normalizing on audio files. I always find it weird that the prices for this ‘simple task’ software are about the same as a fully fledged DAW like cubase.

Well, I think the level of control and the ability to select layers in a full three dimensional spectrum (with a “magic wand” with selection tolerances similar to Photoshop) is what sets it apart. It splits mixed audio files more precisely, basically (and can thus be a way to separate and attempt to rescue bad mixes).

I just got the demo and it crashes every 5 minutes zooming in and out of the spectrum and the I was unable to extract anything from my selections because I had to “register the layer” or something. All in all, a huge pain in the ass without hours spent with the voluminous manual.

Also @shiftr, the reason the “simple task” audio software costs as much as some DAWs is that more people use them for various professional and hobby applications. Most people don’t need a MIDI sequencer and virtual instruments, but they need a multitrack recorder, mixer, editor and mastering suite. One of the beauties of capitalism is that when more people need and use the same kind of product, established companies can charge significantly more than the competition because people will buy either a) the product they already know how to use because of work; or b) the more expensive one because they assume it is better designed.

When it comes to audio production software, there are less companies competing for significantly less customers, in which case prices tend to hold steady because price increases can be fatal and price decreases can mean the difference between getting a large portion of people to switch to your product.

I decided to just spend a little extra on my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription so I can download Audition. It has all the functionality I need.

Yes, capitalism is a beautiful thing for some people… Adobe audition is great. It evolved from what used to be Cool Edit. A wav editor that started on PC in the nineties. It just has handling of the wavefile of any audio editor i know.

Yes I’ve been meaning to try it for ages, but I completely forgot about it until you reminded me above. I spend a lot of time carefully curating my sample library for the Octatrack, and Audacity-while fantastic for a free product- is too basic and isn’t streamlined at all. I’m pretty satisfied with Ableton for mix down and mastering, but I feel like some extra-fine control over my tracks will bring my them to that next level of sonic distinction and detail that currently escapes me.

I’ve been a Wavelab user for years, even bought version 7 those days and paid over 400€ for it, but with the recent audio engine of Logic i plainly didn’t need it. Tansforming a wave file in a sampler bank is just 2 mouseclicks away. Exact down to one sample, if i wish.

I have been meaning to finally get Logic Pro X: but I worry that all the money I spent switching to Ableton will be wasted if I go back to my Logic comfort zone (though Ableton is much simpler in many ways- for better or worse).

Audition is fantastic- I took a mix from Ableton I was unsatisfied with and within 30 minutes of the program downloading I have a much fuller, richer stereo master. Haven’t used it for sample treatment- but if a 6 minute song was this simple…

It works exactly the way you would want it to- no surprises, every menu contains everything you need for one task in one place, and even right clicking pulls up the options you logically expect it to (which is one thing many developers just can’t seem to get right…). I also love that it saves your master every step of the way in the history tab so you can keep trying different things and go right back to a base EQed/Reverb-treated starting point with one click. As a long-time Photoshop user, this is a no-brainer product for me to use.

I use Live and Cubase together. Live is more for the live work and making sketches. If i want to do precise editing and composing i bring it over to cubase or i start in cubase. I do the mastering in the masterbus of cubase except the last step of normalizing i do in audition.

See, everyone tells me Cubase is the way to go for arrangement and that the sequencer and virtual instruments are far superior to Ableton and Logic. I am really liking the (post audio editing) functionality of Ableton’s sampler, the audio FX are the best/most moddable I’ve used and I find the workflow for recording audio to be the best- but other than that, I’m not sure why I spent all that money switching over to it…

Oh yeah, because I decided Logic Pro X was never coming out…