Some more MIDIpal features to try

Seq
clk not
chn 2
clc 1
cln off
This works perfectly from quick inspection

Don’t bother testing this version, I haven’t kept the code for this.

Fair cop.

I have a similar setup as @mic.w and am wondering how I can use the TR8 sequencer to trigger note from a single drum voice to my Volca Bass. (i.e. everytime the HS triggers, it also triggers the Volca)

Is there a way to setup a user filter that would only listen to a single note(RS - C#2 - 37) and then pass that to a different midi channel that the Volca bass is listening on? Bonus points if I could then transpose the note so it plays in a different key on the Volca.

If there is a way to do this with note clocking than maybe I don’t quite understand how that is supposed to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ignore here and move to here

> Is there a way to setup a user filter that would only listen to a single note(RS – C#2 – 37) and then pass that to a different midi channel that the Volca bass is listening on? Bonus points if I could then transpose the note so it plays in a different key on the Volca.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with the “note clock” feature. The “note clock” feature is used to step to the next note in the MIDIpal’s sequence everytime the TR8 (for example) plays a specific instrument. In your setup, it doesn’t look like the MIDIpal’s sequencer is in use.

Yeah, the note clock feature seems very cool and I can see many uses for it, especially to tweak a sequence once it’s already playing.

Is there a way to use the custom user filters on the MIDIpal to filter out all the notes except for #37 and then send that to a different channel? It seems like this configuration would work but it doesn’t seem to be doing what I think it should be doing. This is the filter settings I’m using:

the filter in your screenshot should indeed reassign note #36 (tr8 rimshot) from ch10 to note #36 on ch2.

to also map that note to a different note number/pitch, simply use the ‘set to’ function (from the popup menu to the right of the ‘reassign to’ function). for example: this setting should map note #36 from ch10 to note #60 (c4) on ch2:

that said, i can’t get it to work under midipal fw 1.4, either.

here is what i did:

1. using the filter programmer, i created this user_program.syx.
(it is supposed to filter out all notes #0-36 and #38-127 from ch11 (my tr8 is on ch11, not ch10), and map all notes #37 from ch11 to note #60 on ch2).
2. connect my midipal to my pc, load the user prg app, select prg 1.
3. load that user_program.syx into the c6 sysex tool and play it to the midipal (using the 250ms delay setting recommended and successfully used for firmware updates; the midipal’s ‘in’ and ‘out’ leds flashed three times during that process).
4. connect the midipal to my tr8 and to my other midipal (monitor app) and play some notes on the tr8.

result: all incoming notes from the tr8 just go straight thru that first midipal and arrive unchanged at the second midipal. no notes from ch11 are being filtered out or remapped! :frowning:

could it be that the user prg app is broken somehow?
or maybe i’m missing something obvious here?
(haven’t been using that app for a while)

[edit:] when i uploaded this user prgm to the online ‘retrieve filter settings’ thing, the ‘event type’ settings were missing. so i did a new version which looks fine when uploaded to the editor, but i can’t get that one to work, either. [/edit]

[edit: that was nonsense. more tests needed.]

no, it’s not 1.2 v 1.4.
i downgraded one of my pals to 1.2 - same thing.
i’m currently doing more tests - and i’m confused.

atm, it seems more likley to be a problem of the online filter editor than of the midipal itself.
when trying to reconvert some filter .syx i had done with it earlier, there were some important parts missing - which would explain why those filters were doing nothing.

now when i revisit the online editor and reporgram those same filters again, they are working again.

@mike.w Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this. When I borrowed a MFB Tanzbar it could send CV out from one of the voices so you could trigger another synth using the Tanzbar sequencer.
I’m not seeing any filter changes either using v1.2. I’ll try the filters from the manual and see if they work.

I just tried the .syx that you posted using 1.2 and I’m not getting anything on ch.2
If I switch the synth to ch.11, I get all the voices (including the RS) but the filter doesn’t seem to be working.

I’m going to update to 1.4 and see if I can get the note-clocking working right.

@shwanton:

yeah, i really don’t know why that user prgm i uploaded isn’t working.
[edit:] when i uploaded it to the online ‘retrieve filter settings’ thing, the ‘event type’ settings were missing. so i did a new version which looks fine when uploaded to the editor, but i can’t get that one to work, either. [/edit]

i did some more tests, but the results were just confusing. sometimes things worked, sometimes they didn’t.

sometimes, when uploading filter sets i had just programmed with the online editor back to its ‘retrieve filter settings’ option, some important parts of the filters were missing (the ‘event type’, to be more specific).

it might be a browser issue (using firefox 29.0.1 here). maybe try clearing your browser cache, use a different browser, etc.

i really don’t know, and i’m afraid i can’t pursue it any further at this point. i currently don’t use the user prg app, anyway. hope you can work it out with olivier or somebody else.

the clock note thing is working great!
it might actually do what you’re trying to achieve - clocking a one-note-sequence on ch2 with your tr8’s rs note should probably do the trick.

using filters like the ones described above would seem like a more straightforward solution in this case, though. if they were working, that is…

@mike.w Thanks again for taking a look! I’m going to try and get the filter editor running locally and see if I can’t hack around on it. Will update if I get it working.

yeah, sorry i couldn’t be of any more help.
hope you’ll find a solution!

re the clock note thing: it’s great fun and definitely worth trying!
but don’t use the outdated fw version from this thread, use the latest one - you can find it here.
(it’s a bit hard to tell apart the different beta versions - they are all just called “1.4”)

I had hard times following all this, could you please post one user settings .syx file and explain in details its problems?

i can volunteer a .syx, but i’d like to hand over the conversation to shwanton, because the user prg app currently isn’t a high priority for me, and the issues we were seeing don’t seem to be tied to fw 1.4 (i reproduced them on one of my pals downgraded to 1.2).

so, here is that .syx.

what it is supposed to do:
filter out all incoming notes #0-36 and #38-127 on ch11 (from tr8).
map all incoming notes #37 from ch11 to note #60 on ch2.

what it does to:
nothing whatsoever.
all notes from the tr8 on ch11 pass right thru the pal and come out unchanged.

i have no idea if the problem lies in the pal, in the online editor, or in the sysex transfer from pc to pal (although i have successfully used the same midi interface and the same c6 settings for fw updates).

@shwanton: over to you.

I was trying to filter a note coming from my tr8 on ch.10 and send it to ch.2. This way I can easily use the TR8 to sequence notes on my Volca. The attached .syx file has the filter values as well as a screen shot of how I setup the filter.

I have gotten this to work with the note clocking method but It’s a little buggy and I would like to figure out if I’m creating correct filters using the tool. Thanks in advance!

[ot] “buggy”? did you install the latest version of the clock note firmware i couldn’t find any bugs in that one’s 101 sequencer + clock note implementation… [/ot]